Premed 101 Forums

29 minutes ago, DayIsNight said:

I’m actually not sure this is totally true! There are a number of studies showing bio section of MCAT has correlation with marks in med school, but CARS indicates actual quality of care in residency and onwards. Specifically, for clinical skills and the potential people have to improve over time.

CARS is the section being emphasized more and more, and honestly I think it’s the right move

I've heard this anecdotally as well. Never made any intuitive sense to me but my intuition is irrelevant anyway. What is important is that I haven't seen any data in the US or Canada about this supposed correlation between CARS/Verbal and quality of care after medical school. If anyone knows of such a study I'd love to read it.

In fact, the data says that while MCAT or GPA may be a good predictors in the first few years of medical school, by the time that people are in residency or fellowship it becomes increasingly irrelevant. I'd be surprised if any correlation held so many years into medicine/residency/practice.

I believe the main reason CARS is being emphasized in Canada is a simple issue of demand and supply. There are too many premeds and the mast majority of them probably had a science related major. So the easiest way to cut the numbers down would be using a higher CARS cutoff. Plus it’s also the one section that’s hardest to improve on, so it helps keep the numbers low, as schools simply don’t have the resources to evaluate 5000+ applications. 

2 hours ago, DayIsNight said:

I’m actually not sure this is totally true! There are a number of studies showing bio section of MCAT has correlation with marks in med school, but CARS indicates actual quality of care in residency and onwards. Specifically, for clinical skills and the potential people have to improve over time.

CARS is the section being emphasized more and more, and honestly I think it’s the right move

It’s too bad. I also immigrated to this country as an adult, I was able to score well on the other 3 sections but 124 CARS. I certainly don’t think I have “poor” people skills or low potential. It’s unfortunate that the Canadian system worked against me in this case. I guess as humans we all like to believe things in our favour. I’m not sure about other schools, but UBC seems to be quite holistic when it comes to assessing AQ/MCAT scores (post interview). 

It’s worth considering too that many people with excellent grades are increasingly having very excellent NAQ scores and extracurricular experiences as well. Although there are always people that may lack some knowledge about medicine, it can be equally questionable that a subjective assessment of ECs will determine who will be a better physician. How well an EC gets rated can hinge on a persons ability to word their own activity well.

The simple fact is that EVERY part of the admissions process is frustrating for someone, and it’s important to not build assumptions and resentment to those who get in, and to not belittle and demean those who do not.