Premed 101 Forums

Unsure if I stand a chance at any low tier USMDs or DO schools

On 5/3/2021 at 7:42 PM, Fanofmed said:

I was recently hired as a virtual medical scribe but haven't started working yet so cant include it in my applications and even if I could I don't think it'll pass clinical experience due to its virtual nature, but its better than nothing.

Hi! Is your virtual medical scribe in Canada or US? How did you find that job? I am also looking for a medical scribe job, but I am not sure where to look for it. Will appreciate any tip or insight into this!

20 minutes ago, Idontknowanymore said:

Hi! Is your virtual medical scribe in Canada or US? How did you find that job? I am also looking for a medical scribe job, but I am not sure where to look for it. Will appreciate any tip or insight into this!

Got lucky on the indeed website. Took me forever to find a health care related job. You really just gotta check job websites every day and be ready to quit your current job. I am in Canada but the job itself will entail me working with US physicians.

2 minutes ago, Fanofmed said:

Got lucky on the indeed website. Took me forever to find a health care related job. You really just gotta check job websites every day and be ready to quit your current job. I am in Canada but the job itself will entail me working with US physicians.

Thanks for replying! That sounds cool and congrats on the new job! What sort of clinic is this?

Is your clinic you're working as a scribe at a US clinic? I am asking because I am not sure whether Canadian clinics hire medical scribes, and I'm also not sure whether US clinics hire Canadians without visas.

On 5/8/2021 at 2:33 AM, mjb11 said:

Hey - I'm a Canadian who applied to both USMD and USDO programs this cycle - interviewed and have been accepted to several DO programs and have also been interviewing at my IP Canadian MD program the past couple cycles. I'd agree with the comments above, USMD is tough unless you have a very strong combination of GPA+MCAT (on top of a strong EC profile) or other linkage. It's not impossible by any means, have a Canadian friend who will be starting this summer at a USMD, but you do need to be quite a bit stronger than US applicants. USDO is definitely more doable, but you do still need strong EC's and clinical experiences. I would say to go the USDO route over any international options though, as you have more of a cushion with much higher match rates in the US. There is obviously a lot more to this - depends on the specialty you'd like to pursue, if you're flexible with location/have a SO or kids to think about, etc. - but for the most part, you can complete a US ACGME residency (which all residencies in the US are now, post merger) and make your way back to Canada after. For family med, its more simple, for specialties, you need to complete the Royal college exam and often will need to complete a fellowship or extra chief yr to match training length. 

Again, there's a lot more to it, but hope that helps a bit. If you have other questions/want more clarification, feel free to comment here or PM. Cheers!

What is considered a strong enough GPA + MCAT? 

Which USMD is your Canadian friend attending? 

If these questions are too personal, feel free to PM me as I would like to know the answers to get a better idea! Thanks!

3 hours ago, Idontknowanymore said:

What is considered a strong enough GPA + MCAT? 

Which USMD is your Canadian friend attending? 

If these questions are too personal, feel free to PM me as I would like to know the answers to get a better idea! Thanks!

Sent you a PM

8 hours ago, Idontknowanymore said:

Thanks for replying! That sounds cool and congrats on the new job! What sort of clinic is this?

Is your clinic you're working as a scribe at a US clinic? I am asking because I am not sure whether Canadian clinics hire medical scribes, and I'm also not sure whether US clinics hire Canadians without visas.

Thanks! im not sure exactly its going to be varied i think, i start in June. Its a US clinic though but because of the virtual nature of the job i do not need a visa.

I’m gonna admit I skimmed some things here... Lots of good advice. I’ll focus on DO.

You definitely stand a chance at USDO. I applied to 3 DO schools with no clinical experience at all, was interviewed at all 3, waitlisted at 1 and accepted at 2. It was never mentioned in my interviews and they were much more focused on who I was and the experiences I DID have.

In contrast, I applied to 18 USMD schools and received an interview at one only, and I was questioned about my lack of experience. I have 4.0/519 but without that clinical experience my application was worthless to all US MD schools despite having some very unique and interesting life experiences.

A 511 is well above the avg MCAT for pretty much all DO schools. You’re in good shape in that regard. Also, unlike USMD, you have a much more flexible window to apply - people apply well into the fall and winter when they realize their MD cycle is going to hell in a hand basket, and people get interviews and acceptances very late into the game. I wouldn’t recommend waiting too long as a Canadian, but you don’t have to apply opening day to have a shot at DO, just get it in early summer and you’re going to be miles ahead.

I’m starting DO next August. Feel free to dm if you have questions.