Premed 101 Forums

Are training courses tax deductible?

41 minutes ago, shikimate said:

You could pay them with your prof corp and count against your income. If you are a resident and these are required as part of your program then you can deduct them against your salary as professional fees.

Let's say you are a resident and these courses may not be required per se but you need them to be competitive for application to further training (i.e. CCFP EM). Does that change anything?

• 10 months later...

Hi, my name is Andrew. I am part of the MedTax team here in Canada and can help with your question.

Assuming your employer (University/hospital you are doing your residency with) signed a T2200 and specifically mentioned that you are required to attend conferences or the Provincial college you are a member of and require you to attend conferences as a resident then you can claim them on form 777. I would recommend discussing this with a professional to ensure you qualify for the deduction before claiming it in your tax return. 

If you have other questions, just reach out, and I will be happy to help.