Premed 101 Forums

I had injury a week before  my last clerckship exam, and I failed my exam By 1%.. I am so scared about implications, and I was worried if that mean that the program I matchrd to will reject me.. will I no longer be a resident. It’s my first failure in medical school and I am very stressed out.

3 hours ago, Bookmark311 said:

I had injury a week before  my last clerckship exam, and I failed my exam By 1%.. I am so scared about implications, and I was worried if that mean that the program I matchrd to will reject me.. will I no longer be a resident. It’s my first failure in medical school and I am very stressed out.

If you are able to get your MD and license by residency training start date, they will not be able to reject you (this is my understanding of the CaRMS contract)

You may have to undergo remediation for the exam failure and disclose this on your college application. 

1 minute ago, CaRMS2021 said:

If you are able to get your MD and license by residency training start date, they will not be able to reject you (this is my understanding of the CaRMS contract)

You may have to undergo remediation for the exam failure and disclose this on your college application. 

What college application 

Hey, I'm so sorry this happened to you!

Based on experiences of quite a few people I've encountered who failed one thing or other in medical school, you should be okay. Most schools have processes in place to get you back on track to graduation. Is there an academic advisor at your school or your year director who you can reach out to and discuss what you can do to pass? 

You should be ok, people fail more often than you think, because nobody talks about it. Plus you had medical reason, so if you can get documentation for it that would be a plus.

You failed by 1%, it could very well just be a statistically blip. Honestly to the admins it's more important you match, so they won't hold you back from graduating just because you are short 1%. To them it's a huge slap on their face if somebody don't match or don't graduate, they really want you to go to your residency lol.

I think most likely what happens is they'll have you do a make up quiz, or assignment or something in that regard. I think there's good chance it'll be informal, and won't show up on your transcript is my guess. 

If it's not on your transcript or MSPR then you don't necessarily have to inform your provincial college about it. It's a hassle and black mark for you and your school if that happens, so any smart admin will try to cordially solve it before it reaches the college.

Nobody wants to show other programs that their med students fail, so the admin will likely try to work with you to make sure you get over this ASAP.

full disclosure: I've failed something in both med school as well as residency. The feeling and anxiety sucked big time in the moment, but in the end I got over them. Once you match to residency and later pass your Royal college exam, they'll be distant memories that doesn't matter anymore. Hope this make you feel better.

Also, take into account that your program WANTS you to begin residency. There is literally no reason why they'd be helped by you not beginning residency (quite the opposite actually since that would leave a hole within the program). You'll likely just have to retake the exam and then everything will be fine.

I wish I can agree with the above posters but I've heard of a recent situation involving a medical student who did fail their final exam of clerkship and the school tried to use that as leverage to force the student out of the MD program. They even had their CaRMS residency match annulled. 

You definitely need to take measures to protect yourself and ensure to the best of your ability you at least get your MD... at least then you'll have a chance to pursue a career. 

- G 

2 hours ago, GH0ST said:

I wish I can agree with the above posters but I've heard of a recent situation involving a medical student who did fail their final exam of clerkship and the school tried to use that as leverage to force the student out of the MD program. They even had their CaRMS residency match annulled. 

You definitely need to take measures to protect yourself and ensure to the best of your ability you at least get your MD... at least then you'll have a chance to pursue a career. 

- G 

U r scaring me so much.... I have documentation for injury.. and my dean to,d me that I will do remediation and it won’t show up on my transcript if I pass... that’s very scary 

22 minutes ago, Bookmark311 said:

U r scaring me so much.... I have documentation for injury.. and my dean to,d me that I will do remediation and it won’t show up on my transcript if I pass... that’s very scary 

In your case, focus on what your dean and school are telling you about your specific situation, over what random people on the internet can only do their best to speculate about given the limited information available. 

Don’t worry. Most students who fail an exam just need to do a makeup exam. I’ve failed a clerkship exam before. It really sucks and it’s stessful.

But honestly, It’s no big deal. Just pass the re-take and it won’t even show up on your transcript. 

I know someone who had to retake a clerkship exam 3 times and still matched.

Trust your dean. You’ll be okay. 

13 hours ago, GH0ST said:

I feel like there must have been some pre-existing issues or context, such as this being the last straw of a number of previous issues, for them to be this extreme...

On 5/7/2021 at 2:08 PM, bearded frog said:

I feel like there must have been some pre-existing issues or context, such as this being the last straw of a number of previous issues, for them to be this extreme...

Came here to say the same thing.  At most schools, there is a threshold for how many failed exam is too many, and once that is surpassed the discussion around leaving the program happens.  Many students fail an exam (or two) during medical without any serious repercussions, other than being required to remediate the failed competencies. 

On 5/7/2021 at 12:52 AM, GH0ST said:

- G 

Please name and shame the medical school that did this.  This is important information for medical school applicants selecting an institution for medical training.

On 5/6/2021 at 11:52 PM, GH0ST said:

- G 

Why would the school do this? It's in no one's best interest...

• 2 weeks later...