Premed 101 Forums

Does your medical student MSPR matter when you apply for training during residency?

I do not have insider information, but was told by multiple advisors and also have heard from PDs that it is reviewed mainly for "red flags." Amazing comments probably won't earn you an interview or anything, but a really bad comment could prevent you from getting an interview depending on the program. I don't think most programs use it specifically decide ranking order because the vast majority are positive comments. Ultimately, your medical school wants you to match because they want their stats to be good, so they will leave off negative comments or allow you to appeal them and I think most PDs know this. Your school should let you review your MSPR and you should be able to appeal (ie. offer reasonable explanation) for negative comments to be removed before it is submitted to CaRMS.

Some programs may give more weight to comments from their specialty so MAYBE having amazing comments on those could earn you an interview. But if you have good MSPR comments you probably have good letters, and are a good student in general so you can't really attribute it solely to that anyway I think. 

10 minutes ago, PolkaDoots said:

I do not have insider information, but was told by multiple advisors and also have heard from PDs that it is reviewed mainly for "red flags." Amazing comments probably won't earn you an interview or anything, but a really bad comment could prevent you from getting an interview depending on the program. I don't think most programs use it specifically decide ranking order because the vast majority are positive comments. Ultimately, your medical school wants you to match because they want their stats to be good, so they will leave off negative comments or allow you to appeal them and I think most PDs know this. Your school should let you review your MSPR and you should be able to appeal (ie. offer reasonable explanation) for negative comments to be removed before it is submitted to CaRMS.

Some programs may give more weight to comments from their specialty so MAYBE having amazing comments on those could earn you an interview. But if you have  good MSPR comments you probably have good letters, and are a good student in general so you can't really attribute it solely to that anyway I think. 

This is a duplicate post by the OP - their specific question is concerning the use of the MSPR DURING rather than BEFORE residency.  

The answer appears to be generally no (thanks to @zoxy research).  

Good general suggestions regarding CaRMS residency applications - schools can have quite different internal procedures, though.  

https://forums.premed101.com/topic/113777-does-your-medical-student-mspr-matter-when-you-apply-for-training-during-residency/?tab=comments#comment-1236909