Premed 101 Forums

Covid-friendly Extracurriculars

Given that I live with my parents and they are in the immunocompromised range, I was wondering if you could share ideas for virtual extracurriculars.

So far, I'm running social media for a food recovery project in my hometown, virtual shadowing (it's real!), admin for a disease-related club at my uni, and was an upper year mentor for a younger person in my university program. I'm always looking for more things to do.

52 minutes ago, plansformed2015 said:

hello!  those activities sound awesome -- great job!  i am actually really interested to hear more about the food recovery project and the virtual shadowing?!  

Yeah for sure! The food recovery project was started by a couple of friends of mine in Hamilton where we take food that's about to expire from the farmer's market and we would cook (which is one of my favourite hobbies) for residents at a local shelter. I volunteered and ran as a co-lead (manage recipes, organize pickups, and food storage) for a couple of months until covid hit and we weren't able to meet up and cook food. The project now focuses on doing this distribution without the cooking part. I currently run the social media to spread awareness about food recovery. Overall, been working with the project for a 3 years or so.

The virtual shadowing is something new I learned! https://virtualshadowing.com/sign-up-%26-contact-us. Basically a doctor runs a 2-hour seminar on youtube/zoom and you have to finish a quiz for that week to get the certificate. It's amazing how that team is doing this all for free.

I would love to learn any other virtual opportunities that are available if you know any!

hey!! i've been a crisis responder with kids help phone's crisis text line for two years now and i really love and recommend it if you'd like to do more online extracurriculars :^) all of the training and volunteering is completely remote and you can take shifts on literally any time you want!!

you can find the call for volunteers here, they don't seem to be accepting/training all new applicants at the moment though but it wouldn't hurt to try submitting a form if you're interested!! i believe that there are also other similar text/help lines that take volunteers in canada so you can always take a look at those if you'd like as well

it's not always easy during the text conversations but i definitely think it's something worthwhile doing c: if you have any questions about it feel free to reach out to me anytime!!

1 hour ago, tennie said:

hey!! i've been a crisis responder with kids help phone's crisis text line for two years now and i really love and recommend it if you'd like to do more online extracurriculars :^) all of the training and volunteering is completely remote and you can take shifts on literally any time you want!!

you can find the call for volunteers here, they don't seem to be accepting/training all new applicants at the moment though but it wouldn't hurt to try submitting a form if you're interested!! i believe that there are also other similar text/help lines that take volunteers in canada so you can always take a look at those if you'd like as well

it's not always easy during the text conversations but i definitely think it's something worthwhile doing c: if you have any questions about it feel free to reach out to me anytime!!

That sounds amazing! I never knew such a thing existed. I'll keep updating the applications to see if there are any available spots, thanks for sharing this!