Premed 101 Forums

McMaster Accepted/Waitlisted/Rejected 2020-2021

Result: Accepted (Waterloo, first choice)

Timestamp: 8:40

cGPA: 3.97

CARS: 131

CASPer: Good enough for manitoba OOP

MMI interview thoughts: Second interview had some HARD questions but I felt I had deep answers

Year: 4th year undergrad

Geography: IP

Guaranteed interview from last year: no

Result: Accepted! (Hamilton Campus)

Timestamp: OMSAS @ midnight, email at 8:37am EST

cGPA: 3.99

CASPer: Reflected a bit on experiences, did the practice test the day before, thought it went decently!

MMI interview thoughts: Thought I'd absolutely bombed it (I still shudder when I think about some of my responses), but that seemed to be a common sentiment, so I guess it was fine?

Year: Finishing MSc

Geography: IP

Guaranteed interview from last year: No

I'll be declining Mac - good luck to those still waiting!!!

Result: ACCEPTED!! (edit: Hamilton)
Timestamp: 8:37am
cGPA: 3.68
CARS: 130
CASPer: Felt it went okay! Got an interview at Queen's and my cGPA isn't great, so I assume this went well. Didn't really prepare for it beyond the practice exam offered on CASPer's website.
MMI interview thoughts: I actually felt that this MMI went a lot worse than Queen's, but I guess it was enough! Made sure to include my relevant experiences wherever possible to try and enhance my answers.

Year: finishing up my Masters program this summer
Geography: IP

Guaranteed interview from last year: No

Waitlisted at Queen's, going to hold out for a few more days before accepting my offer to Mac! Hoping my GPA can restore some hope in those who may be applying with lower GPAs!

Result: Rejected 
Timestamp: 8:48am

cGPA: 3.96
CARS: 130
CASPer: Felt it went alright, but I don't think it was used as I was a guaranteed interview from last year. 

MMI interview thoughts: I thought the MMI went alright, and definitely bombed a station or two. Guess it went worse than I thought. 
Year: MSc last year

Guaranteed interview from last year: Yes

Result: ACCEPTED!!! (Niagara-first choice)
Timestamp: 8:42 am

cGPA: 3.98
CARS: 129
CASPer: I think it was above average? 60-80% for Manitoba OOP

MMI interview thoughts: This was my absolute worst interview and I was so so sad after it was done because Mac is my first choice. I was one of those people who got lottery rejected last year and had to redo my mac interview this year, so I was feeling super discouraged. So glad that my interview didn't turn out to be as garbage as I thought!

Year: just finished 4th year

Guaranteed interview from last year: Ya

[Will be accepting the offer and turning down Western/London, Ottawa, and U of T/St George]

Result: Accepted (Hamilton)

Timestamp: 8:37 AM EST

CARS: 127

CASPer: Casper was good, I got an interview to Ottawa as well.

MMI interview thoughts: The first interview felt much better, but I still thought the second interview went well. The delivery of my responses remained the same between the two which is good.

Year: Just graduated from 4th year

I will be accepting this offer. Definitely a dream come true.

Timestamp: 8:36 am EST

CASPer: I can't even remember that far back but I think I felt it went okay. I practiced for about 4-6 weeks using practice questions and PrepMatch (not at all involved with this website, I just found it helpful).

MMI interview thoughts: Felt just okay about it. I had plenty to say for each prompt and felt like I organized my answers well. But I definitely had a cringe moment in one station and felt like I forgot to include some important points in other stations. I practiced for about 2 months 2-3x per week with others. The real interview prompts were nothing like the questions I practiced, but I think it was still helpful to really get in the habit of structuring answers well, looking at both sides of issues, and always considering the perspectives of others.

Year: Graduated and working for several years

Pretty sure I will be accepting this offer! Good luck to everyone on the WL. I've heard Mac's moves quite a lot, so I'm sure many of you will be getting good news in the next few days to weeks! :)

Result: Accepted to Hamilton Campus!!

Timestamp:  8:36am

cGPA: 3.80

CARS: 132

CASPer: Felt okay but my typing skills are sub par

MMI interview thoughts: I felt a bit rambly, but was confident about the content of my answers

Year: Graduated Undergrad Spring 2020

Result: Waitlisted

Timestamp: 8:45am EST

cGPA: 3.95

CASPer: felt much worse this year than the previous two years but my other stats carried me to an interview.

MMI interview thoughts: I came out really not feeling confident at all. I didn't structure my points well and cringed at some answers, although I do think I made some decent points.

Year: Finished BSc in 2017, MSc in 2019, been working at hospitals the past 2 years.

I'll be removing my name from the waitlist! 

Result: Accepted (Hamilton Campus)

Timestamp: 8:37 am 

cGPA: 3.96

CASPer: It felt okay. I did a few practice questions the day before and just focused on considering all the different perspectives. 

MMI interview thoughts: I didn't feel very good about it and thought I bombed at least 2 stations. Genuinely expected a rejection. 

Year: Gap year after undergrad

Guaranteed interview from last year: No, first time applying 

Will be accepting. Good luck to everyone on the waitlist!

Result: Accepted (Hamilton Campus)

Timestamp: 8:37 am 

cGPA: 3.69

CASPer: I had a guaranteed interview from last cycle so I did not have to write CASPer this year for McMaster. However, I'm assuming CASPer has gone well for me for the past two years because I received an interview last year at McMaster with an even lower cGPA and this year I received another interview at Queens who incorporated CASPer into their pre-interview evaluation.

MMI interview thoughts: I felt my preparation for the MMI prepared me well for the kinds of questions that were asked in the MMI. Also only completed my interview asynchronously so I did not have a baseline of comparison for the live interviews.

Year: 4th year undergrad

Guaranteed interview from last year: Yes was on the waitlist last year because of the lottery. The wait was absolutely BRUTAL.

Will likely be accepting the offer although not 100% decided between McMaster and Queens.

As parting words I would like to say that although it is incredibly hard to see the positive for those on the WL or those who were R, everything happens for a reason. By not being accepted off the WL last year, I got to enjoy my final year of UG with my friends and colleagues. I will now get to hopefully have a "normal" medical school experience as COVID cases continue to decline over the next few months, while those accepted last year basically did Zoom Med School. Someone once told me a quote that I'll never forget and I hope you find some peace in it just like I did: Everything works out in the end, and if everything hasn't worked out yet, then it's not the end!

Result: Accepted (KW first choice)

Timestamp: 8:39 

cGPA: 3.68

CARS: 128

CASPer:  must have went well, got invited to Mun (OOP), Dal (OOP), Queen's, Mac, and Alberta (OOP).

MMI interview thoughts: My Masters and subsequent career in that field provided a strong foundation to answer the MMI questions. I felt that my answers were very strong and had a great feeling afterwards.

Year: Completed Masters (2018)

Guaranteed interview from last year: Yep, did not win the lottery. The wait was awful.

I am writing this for fellow lower GPA applicants. This is my 5th cycle in 8 years, what kept me going was seeing fellow re-applicants and low gpa applicants persevere and eventually get accepted somewhere. There is hope if this is what you truly want. Prior to decision day, I knew despite the very real possibility that I may never make it, I would do it all over again and was ready to apply again next cycle. 

Timestamp: 8:38 AM

cGPA: 4.00

CASPer: felt like it went pretty well

MMI interview thoughts: The synchronous interview definitely felt better - agree with everyone above that the asynchronous one had some really tough questions haha. I felt great about 2 stations and thought I totally bombed at least 1 station - had no idea what to expect!

Guaranteed interview from last year: no

On 5/11/2021 at 1:24 AM, justamom said:

Result: Accepted 

Timestamp: 12:00 am

cGPA: 3.95

CASPer:  ugg must have been ok, but my typing is bad. My name here was supposed to be justanon ..look how that worked out. 

MMI interview thoughts: I didn't think was great, virtual was kinda weird, but nowhere near as godawful as Western and I got an offer there too, which I just can't believe 

Year: UG 2020

Guaranteed interview from last year: hummmf yes  - tossed into the lottery . I'm thrilled but part of me will never forget the pain of last year and I just wish no one here has to also go through that. Please know that to get this far means you are incredibly talented and please believe in the audacity of hope., (Obama) keeping me going. 

Will be declining for UofT , for those on the wl there's a Hamilton spot opening up ! hoping the very best for all of you 

Result: R

cGPA: 3.65

CASPer: Must have been really good to get an OOP interview with my GPA

MMI interview thoughts: Felt really great about it tbh and I generally have a good gauge of my performance (e.g. got UofA and MUN acceptances and felt amazing about both interviews, got Queen's/Western WL and felt meh about both of them) which is why not even getting WL stings but guess it wasn't good enough to outweigh my horrible GPA and average CARS (for OOP), I think CASPer not being included in final selection probably worked against me also.

Year: BSc 2020

Geography: OOP

Not too bummed as I did get a couple other offers and still waiting to hear back from UofC, UofM, and my first choice UBC!!

34 minutes ago, Ss123toy said:

Result: R

cGPA: 3.65

CASPer: Must have been really good to get an OOP interview with my GPA

MMI interview thoughts: Felt really great about it tbh and I generally have a good gauge of my performance (e.g. got UofA and MUN acceptances and felt amazing about both interviews, got Queen's/Western WL and felt meh about both of them) which is why not even getting WL stings but guess it wasn't good enough to outweigh my horrible GPA and average CARS (for OOP), I think CASPer not being included in final selection probably worked against me also.

Year: BSc 2020

Geography: OOP

Not too bummed as I did get a couple other offers and still waiting to hear back from UofC, UofM, and my first choice UBC!!

Sorry to hear that but so happy you have other offers and more hopefully on the way! :) 

Timestamp: 8:37am

cGPA: 3.93

CARS: 126 (?!???!!!)

CASPer: MUST have gone well lol 

MMI interview thoughts: lol I for SURE thought I was getting rejected. In the second interview I kept having tech issues and it kept making me re-record 7 minute answers so I definitely was feeling the pressure. I’m pretty sure I had frustrated tears in my eyes during one of my answers lol. Surprised to say the least at the result!

Year: Graduated 2019

Unsure if I am accepting as I have Western too! 

Result: Accepted (Hamilton) - will be accepting unless I make it off Ottawa waitlist

Timestamp: 8:37 AM

cGPA: 3.91

CASPer: felt pretty good, especially considering my cars score

MMI interview thoughts: felt amazing on the live one...was very not pumped to redo it asynchronous. definitely didn't feel as good but just tried to keep the same energy

Year: Graduated 2020

Result: Waitlist

Timestamp: 8:44am

cGPA: 3.92

CASPer: probably pretty good

MMI interview thoughts: stumbled a lot on the async but it was generally okay, could have gone better

Year: 3rd year UG

hoping for a spot off the waitlist... so we wait.

Excited to be able to post this! Thank you to this community for all the help through all this entire process.

Timestamp: 8:37 AM

cGPA: 3.87

CASPer: I prepared pretty hard and felt decently after. 

MMI interview thoughts: I had to interview twice. The first time had so many technical issues - I even missed an entire station. The second time was hard to gauge, but it felt neither spectacular nor terrible. I tried to use as many personal examples as I could, but at times also felt unstructured and like I rambled. 

Year: Final year of undergrad

I have accepted my offer!

Result: Accepted (Hamilton)

Timestamp: OMSAS @ midnight, email at 8:38AM EST

cGPA: 3.99

CARS: 128

CASPer: Spent a lot of time practicing questions and going over experiences + stories, so I felt very good about it.

MMI interview thoughts: To be honest, I wasn't nervous at all because I was so pissed that Mac scrapped the first interview (which I felt really good about). The questions were reasonable and I felt alright about my answers, but it was definitely more challenging without feedback from the interviewees. A few issues with timing (didn't quite finish my thoughts, or finished a few awkward seconds too early) but no deal-breakers or red flags. 

Year: Just finished 3rd year undergrad

Got an offer to Queens as well, so now I have a tough choice to make. I'll update if I give up my spot. Congrats to everyone who received offers, and good luck to everyone on the waitlist!!