Premed 101 Forums

Do I have a shot at Occupational Therapy or should I do a second degree?

Hey guys, I have just about one semester left in my undergraduates program and I been looking through the master’s program at McGill and occupational therapy caught my attention. I am planning to apply next year for fall 2022 and I want to get a head start on making sure I have the right requirements. However my chances are very low so I don’t think I stand a chance. I’m majoring in child education at Concordia and I have no science background nor experience. But I am planning on doing some volunteer work this summer. And I want to take some statistics classes and biology after completing my degree. My GPA is not that high right now, It’s close to 3.4. Should I just go right into a second bachelors degree so that I can increase my GPA? If I were to do a second degree, it would probably be in psychology. But I’m not sure on what to do. Can anyone help me out? 

• 4 months later...

I am in a similar situation! I'll graduate with a BA at the end of this year, and plan on applying to OT programs to hopefully begin fall 2022. With covid, finding places to volunteer has been tricky! Have you had any luck? 

My gpa is 3.9, but I don't have a science background. Some programs specify that they don't give preference to specific majors, so I'm not too worried about that but am wondering if it will increase my workload once in an OT program. Has anyone here gone into an MSc in OT program without a background in science? 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys! I am currently doing my MSc in occupational therapy at McGill! My BA is in business administration! I did however do the health sciences at Cegep, but I know plenty of people in my program currently who do not have a science background at university nor Cegep! So I say give it a shot! 

On 5/9/2021 at 12:29 PM, Manuel said:

Hey guys, I have just about one semester left in my undergraduates program and I been looking through the master’s program at McGill and occupational therapy caught my attention. I am planning to apply next year for fall 2022 and I want to get a head start on making sure I have the right requirements. However my chances are very low so I don’t think I stand a chance. I’m majoring in child education at Concordia and I have no science background nor experience. But I am planning on doing some volunteer work this summer. And I want to take some statistics classes and biology after completing my degree. My GPA is not that high right now, It’s close to 3.4. Should I just go right into a second bachelors degree so that I can increase my GPA? If I were to do a second degree, it would probably be in psychology. But I’m not sure on what to do. Can anyone help me out? 

With a 3.4 GPA your best bet is to do another bachelors unfortunately :(