Premed 101 Forums

UOttawa Medical School Accepted/Waitlist 2021

2 minutes ago, Left Line said:

Very accurate, a few outliers but accurate.

I agree that last year it was mostly accurate. As far as we know from what was reported on this forum, only 1 person was skipped in the first bin.

It's also important to note that the timestamps may not exactly line up with the waitlist order since some people lower on the spreadsheets got offers before people above them. 

Does anyone know whether the bin sizes are all equal (like only a certain number of students in each bin) or stay constant year-to-year? I feel like it would make sense to keep them a consistent size, but also maybe more people got a certain interview score this year than last year, so the bin sizes would change. Just curious!

6 minutes ago, Laikynn_9 said:

Does anyone know whether the bin sizes are all equal (like only a certain number of students in each bin) or stay constant year-to-year? I feel like it would make sense to keep them a consistent size, but also maybe more people got a certain interview score this year than last year, so the bin sizes would change. Just curious!

I'm also really curious about this - based on the excel sheet, the size of bin 1 this year is already bigger than the size of bin 1 at the end of last years cycle.... Last year bin 1 was only at around 30 people by May 20th - it grew to 45+ people as the cycle went on. I'm thinking that bin 1 this year will continue to grow as the cycle moves on, but if we know bins are kept relatively close in size by Ottawa, then theres really no need to panic as it may just be that people are sharing their stats more this year. 

16 minutes ago, Oilers4hockey said:

I'm also really curious about this - based on the excel sheet, the size of bin 1 this year is already bigger than the size of bin 1 at the end of last years cycle.... Last year bin 1 was only at around 30 people by May 20th - it grew to 45+ people as the cycle went on. I'm thinking that bin 1 this year will continue to grow as the cycle moves on, but if we know bins are kept relatively close in size by Ottawa, then theres really no need to panic as it may just be that people are sharing their stats more this year. 

After looking at the data closely, I definitely think Bin 1 may be a bit larger this year. First of all, the top few people on the spreadsheet are likely part of Bin 0 (residual bin that just missed cutoff for acceptance). This was explained by someone else in the thread as a reason why there is a 3.9 and 3.92 up there. In addition, we also see a greater proportion of people in the 3.98-4.0 range as opposed to last year. Also, I'm not sure how Ottawa could possible ensure bin sizes are consistent because applicants' interview scores are probably independent of each other. 

However, I do agree with your point that there has been more data shared this year. The time stamp theory was much more established after last year's cycle. Last year, it was still a "folktale", so many people probably didn't believe in it early on. When they saw proof it was happening, that probably encouraged them to add their stats to the spreadsheet. 

Yep @KingCobra99, I think you may be right. I think it may be a bit bigger, however this forum and the spreadsheet are definitely more popular than last year. For example, I had no idea this existed last year (wasn't applying to med but all my friends were so I was very up to date with the timeline). But I think it's probably best if we don't speculate...although that's much easier said than done. Good luck :))

On 5/12/2021 at 7:42 PM, nrcplstake said:

Time Stamp: 8:13 am

Result: Accepted

GPA: 3.98

Stream: English

Year: just finished 4th year

Interview Thoughts: felt that this was my strongest interview and the interviewers were super sweet and friendly!

Declined for Mac :)

so happy for you!!! last year's wait list situation must have been super hard for you but look at you now!!! Have fun at Mac- your persistence has paid off :) 

3 hours ago, carrots said:

Do we think this forum is a lot more popular this year (so more people entering their data)? Or just a lot more people in Bin 1?

i think it could definitely at least partly be due to the forum/this thread being more popular, since the timestamp theory gained a lot more credibility last year with all of the tracking + excel documentation :^) i'm not sure about the latter (although i have been wondering about it too tbh), but regardless i'm crossing my fingers that we get lots and lots of waitlist movement this cycle!!!

Late adding this, but for stat purposes:

Time Stamp: 8:40 am EST

GPA: 3.94

Year: Finished MSc in the fall

Interview Thoughts: Mixed feelings. Some parts felt okay, but there were a few questions where the interviewers had to interrupt to rephrase so that I understood correctly. All to say that how you think it goes isn't necessarily a good representation of how the final results will play out!

Will be declining my offer in favour of another school. Good luck to those on the WL!

Hi everyone, I'm adding my stats late. I was not on the waitlist, but I thought I would add my info here anyways.

Time Stamp: 7:50am May 11

GPA: 3.93

Year: Graduated undergrad in 2020, now finishing my MSc

I thought the interview was so-so but turns out it actually went well. If you're still trying or on the waitlist, don't lose hope! This was my 3rd time applying to Ottawa. Good luck!