Premed 101 Forums

UOttawa Medical School Accepted/Waitlist 2021

I see where you guys are coming from. I guess my perspective on this whole thing is if you look at the last gpa accepted in each year tracing all the way back to 2017, people with low 3.9s have been accepted. Last year, it even went as low as 3.89 and stopped right before the next 4.0 rotation ( when it was expected to be less movement last year). So if the trend follows, shouldn't everyone before next 4.0 rotation (i.e. everyone in Bin1) be expected to receive an offer? 

I think because of the more reporting this year bin 1 seems extremely large, but I would expect the trends to stay pretty much the same since 2016/2017. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vSXMVQM9MGSXpiBYtEqiPDvYAeua_HOAY2B5xlnTlo1Qxkr2iSz4SAURYgvTleEdr7NRXozFJu_nMc9/pubhtml#

why does it seem theres so many more high gpas (>3.96) this year though, i thought it might be that more people are reporting in general this year but it seems the # of entries is roughly the same as last years ?? do you think the change in gpa calculation is behind that? 

I seem to be too far down to receive an offer before I have to accept another one (I did apply through SAI, so I don’t know if I’m in another stream?)

But either way, I will be removing myself from the waitlist as of tomorrow :)

I was in all of your shoes last year and I know it’s not easy. As I said in another post, I wish I had known what life had in store for me this year! Best of luck to everyone and keep your head up :wub:

1 hour ago, chocobun said:

why does it seem theres so many more high gpas (>3.96) this year though, i thought it might be that more people are reporting in general this year but it seems the # of entries is roughly the same as last years ?? do you think the change in gpa calculation is behind that? 

My thought is that there was a bigger bin 1 (aka more people got the top interview score this year -hence the few left who got accepted yesterday). I’m guessing that it is usually smaller and they take people from the top score and then some 4.0-3.99s from the second score (which is bin 1 on the waitlist). 

I just find it hard for “more reporting” to be the entire picture because last year there was 1 person (maybe 2) with a 3.99 on the waitlist and I don’t remember seeing anyone saying they got a 4.0. I DO think that more people reported this year though :)

34 minutes ago, ksjdflkhei said:

My thought is that there was a bigger bin 1 (aka more people got the top interview score this year -hence the few left who got accepted yesterday). I’m guessing that it is usually smaller and they take people from the top score and then some 4.0-3.99s from the second score (which is bin 1 on the waitlist). 

I just find it hard for “more reporting” to be the entire picture because last year there was 1 person (maybe 2) with a 3.99 on the waitlist and I don’t remember seeing anyone saying they got a 4.0. I DO think that more people reported this year though :)

omg i’ve been wondering why bin 1 seemed so big and why there were so many higher gpas this year relative to last year (even when keeping more reporting in mind) and this theory makes a lot of sense imo!!! :0

"Age, gender, race, religion and socio-economic status play no part in the selection process, unless it is specified in the criteria for designated seats."-from the FAQ

Yes, bilingualism is I believe the last tiebreaker. However, it should rarely come into effect because GPA (to three decimal places) is very hard to tie. We see on the spreadsheet that a lot of people have the same GPAs. However, most are rounding it. I rounded mine.