Premed 101 Forums

Western Accepted/Waitlist/Regrets 2021

I got this waitlist detail:

Our policy does not permit us to release any information concerning the rank order or any other information regarding the Wait List. Therefore, please refrain from contacting Admissions with inquiries related to your ranking on the list.

Doesnt say my place on the waitlist. What does this mean?

Time Stamp: 9:26 

Accepted/WL/R: A (unspecified)

IP/OOP: IP

SWOMEN (Y/N): N

2YGPA: 4

MCAT (CP/CARS/BB): 132/130/130

Interview Experience (good, bad, neutral etc): actually thought this was terrible, the questions were incredibly specific for me and i ended up talking about my dog at one point in an un-ironic way. Very surprised by this!

will likely be withdrawing due to unspecified campus

Is this high or normal waitlist? If it is high, how does normal waitlist look?

"Although you were not ranked to receive an offer at this time, it was recommended that your name be placed on our Wait List. Any offers not accepted will be filled by individuals on the Wait List. In recent years, applicants in your position on the Wait List have received an offer of admission. Please understand that this does not guarantee that you will receive an offer. We are simply communicating this information to allow you to be as informed as possible in making your decision about medical school. Please note that providing a firm acceptance to another Ontario medical school will remove you from our Wait List."

1 hour ago, Ss123toy said:

Does anyone have either of these lines in their email:

"In recent years, applicants in your position on the Wait List have received an offer of admission."

"In recent years, applicants in your position on the Wait List have not received an offer of admission."

Yes mine says the former

Time Stamp: 9:12 am ET

Accepted/WL/R: ACCEPTED (London)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D 

2YGPA: 3.82 (possibly 3.9 but i don't think 1 of my years counted)

MCAT (CP/CARS/BB): 128/129/127

Interview Experience: I felt good immediately after, but then I started second guessing and doubting myself a minute later. Spent March/April dreading a waitlist/R. Looking back now - Westerns interview gives you a great opportunity to share who you are. I was positive and upbeat throughout my interview and really showed them how happy I was to be there. I shared my stories and tried to show them who I was with every single question. 

I'm the first person in my family to go to university and now the first person to go to medical school. It feels surreal to get to this point. If medicine is truly what you want, KEEP GOING. Find that school that fits your strengths and give it your all. All you need is one. I feel like a weight has been lifted off of my shoulders. 

If any one of you feels like you need someone to talk to or want more information or advice feel free to send me a message:). So many people have helped me on this forum and written up such thoughtful and helpful responses. I know i couldn't have done this alone. I have a lot of people to thank :) 

Cannot believe I'm finally here :) :) :):)

44 minutes ago, Scrubadubdub said:

Time Stamp: 9:12 am ET

Accepted/WL/R: ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Unspecified) :D (normal waitlisted last year)

IP/OOP: OOP

2YGPA: 3.82 

MCAT (CP/CARS/BB): 128/129/127

Interview Experience: I felt good immediately after, but I instantly thought of all the things I could have said and all the experiences I hadn't gotten to share. This left me feeling like I had blew it. I was also really sick and couldn't stop coughing throughout my interview. Looking back now - Westerns interview gives you a great opportunity to share who you are. I was positive and upbeat throughout my interview and really showed them how happy I was to be there. I shared my stories and tried to show them who I was with every single question. 

I've spent 10 years on this forum reading through these threads and wishing I could write one of these one day. I started my undergraduate degree in 2011 and took 2 extra years to complete it cause my GPA was terrible. My GPA in my first year was 1.6 (bad study habits from high school transferring into uni). I applied 4 times and I've only interviewed once before this year (last year at Western when I was normal waitlisted). But I set my sights on Western at the end of my 4th year in 2015 and knew I had an uphill journey ahead. I knew I had what it takes, it was just going to take me a little longer to get there. I'm the first person in my family to go to university and now the first person to go to medical school. 

I've seen so many of my friends start their lives, while I've been stuck in limbo. I've been out of school for 4 years trying at this dream. It honestly has been a grind. I can remember going back into my basement for my 4th summer in a row studying for the MCAT all so that I could improve my CARS score from a 125 to a 129 (and of course, thats the year Western drops their cut off haha). Being placed on the normal waitlist last year was HARD. I woke up every day that summer thinking I would get the call.. It feels surreal to get to this point. If medicine is what you want, KEEP GOING. I feel like a weight I've been carrying has been lifted off my shoulders. 

If any one of you feels like you need someone to talk to or want more information or advice feel free to send me a message:) . So many people have helped me on this forum and written up such thoughtful and helpful responses. I know i couldn't have done this alone. I have a lot of people to thank :) 

Cannot believe I'm finally here :) :) :):)

Congrats!!! Mind checking your messages? Just sent a question

39 minutes ago, Esophagus said:

Does anyone know when they will send an email about the Schulich scholarship and other entrance scholarships? 

I found out I had an admission bursary at the end of May last year, and decisions about Schulich Scholarships went out in August/September I think, followed shortly by the other scholarships in early October 

9 minutes ago, hbmed said:

I found out I had an admission bursary at the end of May last year, and decisions about Schulich Scholarships went out in August/September I think, followed shortly by the other scholarships in early October 

I just want to clarify. So, you don't know find out about the $112,000 scholarship until August? Or do you find out about it in May, but only receive it in August? Thanks for your answer! 

2 hours ago, ma17 said:

Is this high or normal waitlist? If it is high, how does normal waitlist look?

"Although you were not ranked to receive an offer at this time, it was recommended that your name be placed on our Wait List. Any offers not accepted will be filled by individuals on the Wait List. In recent years, applicants in your position on the Wait List have received an offer of admission. Please understand that this does not guarantee that you will receive an offer. We are simply communicating this information to allow you to be as informed as possible in making your decision about medical school. Please note that providing a firm acceptance to another Ontario medical school will remove you from our Wait List."

I believe this is HWL! 

3 hours ago, MDDM said:

Received a high waitlist! Just a couple of quick questions: When can we expect initial offers to go out off the waitlist this year? Also, will Western literally call you on your phone or will there also be an email sent? Thanks for any help!

Nice and fingers crossed that it comes through! last year it was May 28th but our initial offers went our on May 12th (not 11th), so I would think it would be around 27/28. If you received HWL, obviously nothing is guaranteed but you will likely receive a call from the admission office (mine said no Caller Id) sometime on or after the first day WL movement begins, after unspecified have been notified of their campus assignment. an email will then be sent a couple of days after that. 

10 minutes ago, Esophagus said:

I just want to clarify. So, you don't know find out about the $112,000 scholarship until August? Or do you find out about it in May, but only receive it in August? Thanks for your answer! 

Hi, yes sorry- to clarify- we did not find out about the Schulich Scholarship until late summer/August/September. In the first week of October I got the email saying all the Schulich Scholarships had been allocated. I got one of the other smaller scholarships a few days later, and saw the amount show up in student center relatively soon after.  

Unfortunately I was “low” waitlisted. I know the email says “In recent years, applicants in your position on the Wait List have not received an offer of admission”, but does anyone here happen to know if Western has ever gotten all the way through to the “low” waitlist, or can I pretty much assume this is an R?

Feeling pretty gutted right now since I thought my interview actually went well. :(

EDIT: I have accepted an offer to another school so I have removed myself from the wait list. Best of luck to all waitlisters at Western! :)

1 hour ago, sphw4 said:

Unfortunately I was “low” waitlisted. I know the email says “In recent years, applicants in your position on the Wait List have not received an offer of admission”, but does anyone here happen to know if Western has ever gotten all the way through to the “low” waitlist, or can I pretty much assume this is an R?

Feeling pretty gutted right now since I thought my interview actually went well. :(

I'm pretty much on the same boat as you. I took the news pretty hard because I thought my interview went well also. 

I spent 2 months working on my essays and my MCAT and GPA are in range of people who are typically accepted. This is my 4th cycle and second year getting rejected post interview.  I really dont know what else to do at this point to improve.  

Time Stamp: 9:34

Accepted/WL/R: Bad waitlist

2YGPA: 3.97

MCAT (CP/CARS/BB): 131/131/128

Interview Experience (good, bad, neutral etc): I thought this was one of my best interviews. I felt like I did really well on most questions but rambled too much on the final question. They even complimented the uniqueness of my stories. I'm kind of surprised with the result, but I got accepted elsewhere so it's all good.

Time Stamp: 9:22

Accepted/WL/R: Accepted!! (London)

2YGPA: 3.99

MCAT (CP/CARS/BB): 132/129/130

Interview Experience (good, bad, neutral etc): Initially felt good after the interview, but slowly doubted my answers over time. I thought even the points that were good became bad as I ruminated. Was happy to have been able to incorporate my unique experiences in some of my answers and clearly show my personality and hobbies. Two of my interviewers were warm and helped me feel comfortable during the interview. I think being able to talk comfortably and not show a lot of nerves probably helped a lot! Super grateful for the acceptance!!

Time Stamp: 9:22

Accepted/WL/R: Accepted!! (London)

2YGPA: 3.97

MCAT (CP/CARS/BB): 130/129/128

Interview Experience (good, bad, neutral etc): I felt like I did terribly, I got cut off for every question (my interview was over 50 minutes) and only related one answer back to med (which was a really weak connection). I was able to make them laugh a few times but I thought my rambling would make me 100% get cut out. I tried to really speak like I was speaking to friends/be very human (if that makes sense) in my answers and show my passion for the things I do. I also tried to ask unique questions at the end that were based in my own interests. I was really stressed for this one but wanted to post for anyone in future years that is worried about rambling/going over time that you can still do well!!!! I will be declining but congrats to everyone who got in :)

Time Stamp: 12:15

Accepted/WL/R: Accepted! (London)

2YGPA: 3.91

MCAT (CP/CARS/BB): 128/131/128

Interview Experience (good, bad, neutral etc):  I felt like my interview went fairly well! My interviewers were rather nice and friendly to me and made jokes. i think I got rather lucky with the people that were there that time slot. I was super stressed and a little burnt out after doing so many interviews, so I think some of my answers were a little rambly. I tried to speak about experiences that were (hopefully) unique to myself, while also trying to smile and be a little humorous, which I think they appreciated. Best of luck to everyone and congrats to everyone who got in!