Premed 101 Forums

UofT Accepted/Rejected/Waitlisted 2021

Result: Accepted to UTSG

Timestamp: 9:40 am

wGPA/cGPA: 4.00/3.99

MCAT: Above cutoffs

ECs: Research heavy + charity club leadership, queer and immigrant services, no clinical volunteering, two letters from PIs, one from charity founder

Essays: Felt really good about them, worked on them for ~1 month

Interview: Felt good about them coming out of it

Year: 4th year undergrad

Geography: IP

Result: Rejected

Timestamp: 10:02am

wGPA/cGPA: 4.0/3.99

MCAT: 514 (131/126/129/128)

ECs: Mostly research heavy, some conferences and papers, two long term volunteering commitments, very little other ECs 

Essays: Spent a couple weeks writing after thinking on the questions for a month-ish (there's no space for this but I think I had really strong references who I have very strong connections with, not sure how much that ended up weighing into the equation)

Interview: This was actually my favourite interview, I felt like I connected with the questions and I had a good time- definitely rambled and lacked a coherent argument in 1 of the 4 questions though. I guess this shows that feeling good and having a good time doesn't always accurately reflect the result; but again with asynchronous it's hard to tell

Year: 4th

Biggest congrats to those accepted and the absolute best of luck for those on the WL! As for everyone else, I strongly believe the best is yet to come

Result: Accepted to Mississauga campus (first choice)

Timestamp: 10:28 am EST

wGPA/cGPAcGPA 3.97 (didn't qualify for wGPA because I didn't take a full course load every year)

MCAT: 523 (130/131/130/132)

ECs: Registered health professional for 5 years + 1 year internship, wrote a blog related to my field for 8 years, several clubs and volunteering <100 hours each, some summer jobs in retail and restaurants, 1 year of research but study was unpublished, and several academic awards.

Essays: Felt really good about the BPEs. I actually really enjoyed the prompts and had a lot of experiences and ideas to talk about. I didn't feel as good about my ABS essays and at least one was definitely on the weaker side

Interview: 3 stations felt decent (although I worried I glazed over my personal experiences without really mentioning my skills/learnings from them), and one I thought I bombed by saying the completely wrong thing that made me look unempathetic and by not focusing enough on the main point of the prompt.

Year: Graduated and working for several years

Geography: IP

Congrats to everyone else with acceptances!!! I will most likely be declining this offer to go to Mac, so I hope someone here on the WL gets my spot. :)

Result: Waitlisted

Timestamp: 9:52am

wGPA/cGPA: 3.97/3.93

MCAT: 513 (130/126/129/128)

Interview: I actually felt the best about this interview! Just goes to show that your feelings don’t always match. 

Year: Gap

Anyone know if the waitlist moves within the two weeks? I have other offers thankfully, but would love to hear from UofT!

Timestamp: 10:00 am

wGPA/cGPA: 3.94/3.84

MCAT: 516 (129/128/128/131)

Interview: I've never felt great about an interview. This one felt average. One station was good, two were OK, one was terrible.

Year: BSC. 2019

This was my 3rd cycle, 6th interview, and 6th rejection, but I'm not giving up :) Congrats to everyone who got in. To everyone else still trying, we got this!

After 5 years, 4 application cycles, 3 MCATs, a 2-year master's degree, and 1 goal, I've finally been accepted!!! 

To those who didn't get an offer this year, I know your pain and I know what it feels like. It can be hard to keep your head up. If you're willing to listen to my piece of advice, what kept me going was knowing that I was getting closer and closer each year, continuing to improve my application in whatever way I possibly could, continuing to improve my interview skills, rewriting the MCAT in 2020 to improve my CARS score (it was 125 the first two times I wrote it, I raised it to 131 on my third try!), and having a mentality of getting closer, not farther away. I know this may not be helpful for some people who have had interviews previously and then been rejected pre-interview this year, but if you're at the interview stage then you're so close and you ARE good enough to get accepted! My faith in God was extremely important - all these rejections taught me to be patient and trust in the Lord's timing, not my own. It taught me to be humble, not wanting to be a doctor out of selfish ambition but out of a desire to serve others. It taught me perseverance. I hope this was helpful to someone, and believe me, I know - it's a long and arduous process. Please feel free to PM me if you'd like someone to talk with or want to know more.

Result: Accepted

Timestamp: 9:36am EST

wGPA/cGPA: I think my wGPA is 3.99, cGPA is 3.95

MCAT: 131/131/128/129

ECs: Diverse, including multiple experiences in each category (research, employment, volunteering, extracurriculars, awards, etc) - PM for details

Essays: Felt fairly good about them, got some people to look them over that I trusted. Each essay went through several revisions. Had unique personal stories for each.

Interview: Didn't go that well, at each station I was left feeling like I hadn't fully conveyed my thoughts and wished I had said more and made my points more clearly. I had actually written U of T off as a reject for this year since they rejected me the past two years post-interview and I wasn't sure I felt like I had done any better than previous years.

Year: Finished BSc in 2017, MSc in 2019, working at hospitals the past 2 years.

Result: Accepted- Mississauga

Timestamp: 9:36am EST

wGPA/cGPA: 3.94

MCAT: 522

ECs: See previous posts.

Essays: Spent a few weeks on these. Tried to add personal touches while still fully answering the questions.

Interview: Felt really good about it.

Year: Research-based MSc

Result: FINALLY Accepted- St. George

Timestamp: 9:36 AM EST

wGPA/cGPA: 3.96

MCAT: 514

ECs: Research heavy (awards, scholarships, no significant pubs), distress centre, homeless services, health unit work, sports, marathons, started a delivery service for Covid19 at risk populations 

Essays: Wrote too many essays throughout the years. Tried to make these easily digestible so whoever was reading them would come across this and thank me for making it easy to read :-)! Add personal experiences x100.

Interview: Can't feel good or bad about it. Was a YouTube vlog submission so? 

Year: 2 year post undergrad :-P

Not sure where I will be accepting as I have Ottawa, Western and still waiting on BC! There's hope after 3 cycles big yikes!

Result: Accepted St George (had to calm down from yesterday!!!!!!!)

wGPA/cGPA: cGPA is 3.93 not sure what wGPA was but something around 3.98 probably

MCAT: 516 (cars was my lowest with 126)

ECs: nothing crazy - research summerstudenships, triathlon club exec, parliamentary tour guide, tutoring

Essays: felt OK about them but made them v personal, not a native english speaker and my mom helped me (lol)

Interview: 1/4 questions felt super bad the rest went well

Year: gap year (b.sc 2020)

Also accepted in the French stream at Ottawa and some QC schools, no idea what I will pick yet 

Result: Accepted (St. George Campus)

Timestamp: 9:27 EST

wGPA/cGPA: 3.95- don't think I was eligible for wGPA.

MCAT: 129/128/127/131 (515)

ECs: Many ECs, but almost no publications/hard research. Worked at a hospital since graduating high school, presented at ethics conferences, sports, some volunteering early on in undergrad but gotta work to live y'know? Sat on a couple university senate committees and did an internship in clinical research in Montreal.

Essays: I let them marinate until the last moment when I just wrote them all through from start to finish. Didn't have much structure but was honest, linked to my life where I could and shared my opinions.

Interview: It felt like my worst one because the questions were fairly generic. Didn't feel awful though and felt like I had enough time to discuss what I wanted.

Year: MSc. complete

Geography: OOP

EDIT: Will be declining so best of luck to those on the waitlist :)

Result: Accepted - St. George

Timestamp: 9:47 AM EST, OMSAS came out around 12 PM

wGPA/cGPA: 4.00

MCAT: above cutoffs

ECs: Balance of research/volunteering experiences - I thought it was pretty standard overall but PM for details!

Essays: Spent about a month on them and got some close friends to read them over. Don't be afraid of talking about seemingly small experiences/parts of your life if they're important to you :)

Interview: Felt good about 2 questions and meh about the other 2, definitely overthought everything after the interview haha. Tried to incorporate a lot of personal experiences into each answer

Will be accepting, super excited to meet everyone :)

Result: Accepted (Downtown)

Timestamp: 9:41

wGPA/cGPAdunno/3.98

MCAT: 521

ECs: see previous posts

Essays: spend a while writing and having 3 ish people looking over it

Interview: felt super short and felt like there was lots that I didn't get to say! 

Year: just finished 4th

Declined for Mac :)

Result: Accepted (Mississauga) 

Timestamp: 9:45 EST 

wGPA/cGPA: ~ 3.98 

MCAT: 516 

ECs: 3 years' undergrad research, university leadership, one 2nd author 

Essays:  Spent a lot of time - edited several times until I was sick of looking at them. 

Interview: I thought it was my best one but relatively probably wasn't

Year: 2020 grad 

Geography IP 

Accepting this offer - super excited. 

10 hours ago, justamom said:

Result: Accepted (Mississauga) 

Timestamp: 9:45 EST 

wGPA/cGPA: ~ 3.98 

MCAT: 516 

ECs: 3 years' undergrad research, university leadership, one 2nd author 

Essays:  Spent a lot of time - edited several times until I was sick of looking at them. 

Interview: I thought it was my best one but relatively probably wasn't

Year: 2020 grad 

Geography IP 

Accepting this offer - super excited. 

Welcome to the MAM Fam, you won’t regret it! <3

Timestamp: 9:56am

wGPA/cGPA: 3.975 (didn't qualify for wGPA, and most 2nd year grades were dropped due to COVID-19)

MCAT: 523 (132/128/131/132)

Interview: I was in the first set of interviews, so I barely had time to practice. Felt OK about it, didn't mess up any of the stations but none of them were amazing either.

Year: Just finished 3rd year undergrad

I got the hard R a couple hours after receiving admission offers to my top schools, so I wasn't fazed. ^_^ Congrats to everyone who made it in this round, and good luck to anyone on the waitlist or reapplying next year!

• 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, oofers said:

anyone know when waitlist would start to move?

Toronto over-offers as they know a certain percentage of students will decline their offer.

It won't start until 3 to 4 weeks after D-Day and then there might only be 10 WL offers.

This is in contrast to a Medical School such as Ottawa where they only offer the spots available.

Ottawa's waitlist moves right away and on the english stream around 60 students get WL offers.

4 hours ago, oofers said:

anyone know when waitlist would start to move?

From previous years' waitlist threads, it seems like the first round of waitlist offers usually happens 15-16 days after D-day (1-2 days after the 2 week deadline to accept or decline initial offers). If that pattern holds true for this year, we should hear back tomorrow or later this week!