Premed 101 Forums

Upcoming council meeting to address MDCM admission update

ceelbe

I just saw McGill sent out an email saying the next faculty of med/health sciences council meeting is going to mention “MDCM admissions update” on May 18 and I was curious if anyone had an idea of what this was about? Is it likely about the incoming class, or does there seem like there will be a change in the admissions criteria again? 

2 hours ago, ceelbe said:

I just saw McGill sent out an email saying the next faculty of med/health sciences council meeting is going to mention “MDCM admissions update” on May 18 and I was curious if anyone had an idea of what this was about? Is it likely about the incoming class, or does there seem like there will be a change in the admissions criteria again? 

what email? 

@fluffybunnyyyyy It’s sent out to current McGill students that are part of the faculty of medicine and health sciences I’m pretty sure. I just graduated from nursing at McGill so I received it! This is what it says:

Dear Colleagues, 

This is to remind you that the next Faculty Council meeting takes place Tuesday, May 18, 2021, at 4:30 p.m. The Faculty Council meeting is open to all members of the Faculty, including students and residents, and will be recorded. The agenda and supporting documents are now available on the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences website here.

Topics to be covered at this meeting include the following, among others: 

• Overview and recommendations from review of Faculty Thesis-based Graduate Programs
  • MCDM Admissions Update
  • School of Population and Global Health Strategic Plan                                                                  

This meeting will be held via Zoom. To manage flow and process, the link requires registration; as such, please register online via the Zoom link a few minutes before the meeting’s start time. The meeting will begin promptly at 4:30 p.m.

Dr. David Eidelman
Vice-Principal (Health Affairs)
Dean of the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences

5 hours ago, ceelbe said:

@fluffybunnyyyyy It’s sent out to current McGill students that are part of the faculty of medicine and health sciences I’m pretty sure. I just graduated from nursing at McGill so I received it! This is what it says:

Dear Colleagues, 

This is to remind you that the next Faculty Council meeting takes place Tuesday, May 18, 2021, at 4:30 p.m. The Faculty Council meeting is open to all members of the Faculty, including students and residents, and will be recorded. The agenda and supporting documents are now available on the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences website here.

Topics to be covered at this meeting include the following, among others: 

• Overview and recommendations from review of Faculty Thesis-based Graduate Programs
  • MCDM Admissions Update
  • School of Population and Global Health Strategic Plan                                                                  

This meeting will be held via Zoom. To manage flow and process, the link requires registration; as such, please register online via the Zoom link a few minutes before the meeting’s start time. The meeting will begin promptly at 4:30 p.m.

Dr. David Eidelman
Vice-Principal (Health Affairs)
Dean of the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences

Hey! Not sure if the Zoom meeting is accessible to any McGill student, but for security reasons (as the forum is public), I think it'd be best if you could edit out the link! 

1 minute ago, MK. said:

Hey! Not sure if the Zoom meeting requires a password, but for security reasons (as the forum is public), I think it'd be best if you could edit out the link! 

Good catch, thank you! I didn’t realize it copied the hyperlinks when I copied it over here. Thanks :) 

2 minutes ago, veromedico said:

@ceelbe or anyone else, what could be the updates to the admission cycle ? 

I’m not sure honestly, my friend and I were wondering if they’ll change anything about prereqs again?? But maybe this is just about the incoming class, I’m not sure. I’m really dying to know though because I’m applying for the first time this year and in middle of doing my prereqs. Could be nothing important but as soon as there’s news I’ll post here if someone else hasn’t :) I’m probably going to attend the meeting just because I’m being impatient lol

Just now, ceelbe said:

I’m not sure honestly, my friend and I were wondering if they’ll change anything about prereqs again?? But maybe this is just about the incoming class, I’m not sure. I’m really dying to know though because I’m applying for the first time this year and in middle of doing my prereqs. Could be nothing important but as soon as there’s news I’ll post here if someone else hasn’t :) I’m probably going to attend the meeting just because I’m being impatient lol

oh, yeah please let us know too! Im impatient to know! I just got the "R" post interview and waitlisted on an ontario school!! kind of desperate at this point! :(

13 minutes ago, veromedico said:

oh, yeah please let us know too! Im impatient to know! I just got the "R" post interview and waitlisted on an ontario school!! kind of desperate at this point! :(

Oh darn :( stay positive, at least you got an interview and know what to expect so you can work on it for next time :) I’ll give details when I know more (assuming it’s public information)

1 hour ago, veromedico said:

@ceelbe or anyone else, what could be the updates to the admission cycle ? I doubt the changes too different since there is only few months to prepare for the next cycle!! Like making the next cycle 80% MMI, 20% pre-reqs? 

I recently spoke to admissions and they told me that the prerequisite change (as in not counting them) would be permanent, as it was done to align the regular stream with the med-p stream.

i was told an update would come concerning pass/fail classes for the past year (probably because McGill and other schools have increased the amount allowed) so I’d assume it’s that 

13 minutes ago, mtlwatch2029 said:

I recently spoke to admissions and they told me that the prerequisite change (as in not counting them) would be permanent, as it was done to align the regular stream with the med-p stream.

i was told an update would come concerning pass/fail classes for the past year (probably because McGill and other schools have increased the amount allowed) so I’d assume it’s that 

Ah that would make sense! :) Hopefully something simple like that. Good to hear about the prerequisites

17 minutes ago, ceelbe said:

Ah that would make sense! :) Hopefully something simple like that. Good to hear about the prerequisites

Yes, I’d bet that it’s gonna be that exceptionally, if your degree was in progress during this past academic year that an extra amount of p/f will be allowed, in addition to those that McGill already grants (so maybe like if you have p/f in fall and winter this year it won’t count to the total 10% p/f McGill allows). When I spoke to them they told me not to worry about having more p/f this year, but I’m gonna assume having lots of p/f in one semester will hurt your application 

1 minute ago, mtlwatch2029 said:

Yes, I’d bet that it’s gonna be that exceptionally, if your degree was in progress during this past academic year that an extra amount of p/f will be allowed, in addition to those that McGill already grants. When I spoke to them they told me not to worry about having more p/f this year, but I’m gonna assume having lots of p/f in one semester will hurt your application 

That’s interesting! Damn if that’s the case then I wish I did p/f on one of my classes in fall 2020 but I was too scared lol. Thanks :) 

3 minutes ago, mtlwatch2029 said:

Yes, I’d bet that it’s gonna be that exceptionally, if your degree was in progress during this past academic year that an extra amount of p/f will be allowed, in addition to those that McGill already grants (so maybe like if you have p/f in fall and winter this year it won’t count to the total 10% p/f McGill allows). When I spoke to them they told me not to worry about having more p/f this year, but I’m gonna assume having lots of p/f in one semester will hurt your application 

makes sense! thanks for the update

1 minute ago, ceelbe said:

That’s interesting! Damn if that’s the case then I wish I did p/f on one of my classes in fall 2020 but I was too scared lol. Thanks :) 

Why was it that you were scared? They were very clear to me that p/f wording make any difference to an application as long as it doesn’t exceed the amount that McGill allows. Did you already p/f 3 classes?

1 minute ago, mtlwatch2029 said:

Why was it that you were scared? They were very clear to me that p/f wording make any difference to an application as long as it doesn’t exceed the amount that McGill allows. Did you already p/f 3 classes?

I was scared too! our profs told us, make sure u dont do it, cuz it will hurt ur professional school's apps! 

1 minute ago, veromedico said:

yeH, SAME! do u think its better to make an A- pass/fail if it drops the GPA 0.01 ??

I don’t think you should bother with p/f. A 0.01 change likely won’t make any difference at all in the selection process. While McGill doesn’t seem to care about p/f, you never know if you might want to apply to another school that views p/f unfavourably (for instance Waterloo pharmaD will assume that a pass is the lowest possible passing grade and use that in your average)

2 minutes ago, mtlwatch2029 said:

In my case I have quite a few P/F courses due to my clinical rotations in nursing being P/F (not by my choice) so I was a bit hesitant to add more or like if ever McGill one day would say nvm we don’t accept P/F anymore then I’d be screwed haha. I haven’t P/F any courses otherwise, but I just graduated and my GPA is 3.91 and since I’m IP it’s fine I’m sure (I hope lol)