Premed 101 Forums

Upcoming council meeting to address MDCM admission update

ceelbe

3 hours ago, hopefulpremed98 said:

Hi can I ask where you heard about that requirement? Seems reasonable hopefully they give people time to adjust

Its in the maaf letter you have to sign as part of your acceptance so my guess is it applies as of this year; it says the following on bottom of page 2 

Language Assessment for newly admitted students. You are required to have your language proficiency in French and English assessed before the program begins.

1. English language proficiency was verified at the time of application, no further action is required. See

www.mcgill.ca/undergraduate-admissions/apply/english-proficiency

2. French Language proficiency can be fulfilled in the following ways:  a)  You successfully completed at least 1 year of secondary or post-secondary studies at an institution whose official language is French. You will be required to upload a copy of your secondary school transcript if this is your only period of study in French. b)  Your MMI was in French. c)  In all other cases, you are required to complete an online French assessment with McGill’s School of Continuing Studies prior to the program start date. Candidates attending Campus Outaouais will be invited to complete an additional oral assessment.

You will receive communication from Admissions with further instructions if you are required to complete an assessment with Continuing Studies. Failure to complete the assessment will result in cancellation of the offer of admission. A variety of dates in the summer and immediately before Orientation will be provided. Students are responsible for the cost of the assessment test (approximately $38 for the written component, and $50 for the oral component). Students will receive recommendations for optional extra courses or resources to help improve skills. See Language Proficiency policy: www.mcgill.ca/ugme/policies-procedures/ugme-policy-language-proficiency

1 hour ago, Cardiolove01 said:

Its in the maaf letter you have to sign as part of your acceptance so my guess is it applies as of this year; it says the following on bottom of page 2 

Language Assessment for newly admitted students. You are required to have your language proficiency in French and English assessed before the program begins.

1. English language proficiency was verified at the time of application, no further action is required. See

www.mcgill.ca/undergraduate-admissions/apply/english-proficiency

2. French Language proficiency can be fulfilled in the following ways:  a)  You successfully completed at least 1 year of secondary or post-secondary studies at an institution whose official language is French. You will be required to upload a copy of your secondary school transcript if this is your only period of study in French. b)  Your MMI was in French. c)  In all other cases, you are required to complete an online French assessment with McGill’s School of Continuing Studies prior to the program start date. Candidates attending Campus Outaouais will be invited to complete an additional oral assessment.

You will receive communication from Admissions with further instructions if you are required to complete an assessment with Continuing Studies. Failure to complete the assessment will result in cancellation of the offer of admission. A variety of dates in the summer and immediately before Orientation will be provided. Students are responsible for the cost of the assessment test (approximately $38 for the written component, and $50 for the oral component). Students will receive recommendations for optional extra courses or resources to help improve skills. See Language Proficiency policy: www.mcgill.ca/ugme/policies-procedures/ugme-policy-language-proficiency

This was mentioned at the interview orientation and they said that this wouldn’t effect whether you get in or not, it’s a way for them to see where you are and recommend appropriate courses.

46 minutes ago, hopefulpremed98 said:

Ok according to the policy it seems language proficiency is going to be a requirement starting for fall 2023 admissions 

What policy is this?

They also had a slide that said that previously, to be excluded from the French proficiency test, you had to show proof of 1 year secondary or post secondary study at a French school, and now it can be 

-Completed high school and cegep in Quebec (in English or French) 

-Wrote casper in French 

I didn’t hear if it was either/or or if it was both of those combined but I think either one, not both needed. So basically I don’t think the language proficiency change affects those who are IP (assuming they did all their schooling here basically

Unless I misunderstood something lol

10 minutes ago, ceelbe said:

They also had a slide that said that previously, to be excluded from the French proficiency test, you had to show proof of 1 year secondary or post secondary study at a French school, and now it can be 

-Wrote casper in French 

I didn’t hear if it was either/or or if it was both of those combined but I think either one, not both needed. So basically I don’t think the language proficiency change affects those who are IP (assuming they did all their schooling here basically

I think it was either could lead to exemption. Hopefully they’ll expand on it in the website soon. As an Anglo Quebecor our only option is McGill for med school. Did anyone catch if the high school and cegep in English would allow people to still apply to Outaouais? 

15 minutes ago, ceelbe said:

-Wrote casper in French 

ok, thanks for the update. Just to be clear, we don't have to do any language proficiency for this upcoming cycle, right?

16 minutes ago, ceelbe said:

can u please elaborate on this " previously" section. I am kind of confused. 

12 minutes ago, hopefulpremed98 said:

I think it was either could lead to exemption. Hopefully they’ll expand on it in the website soon. As an Anglo Quebecor our only option is McGill for med school. Did anyone catch if the high school and cegep in English would allow people to still apply to Outaouais? 

you mean if Med-ps can apply to Outaouais? yes they can. if you look at the post-interview waitlist, their WL movement is actually really fast

3 minutes ago, veromedico said:

you mean if Med-ps can apply to Outaouais? yes they can. if you look at the post-interview waitlist, their WL movement is actually really fast

No I meant if the exemption would still apply to those that did cegep and high school in Quebec considering the Montreal and outaouais campuses will require different levels of french to apply (B2 vs C1)

41 minutes ago, veromedico said:

Can someone verify if the language proficiency french test takes effect for this cycle or for Fall 2023 as described below: 

https://www.mcgill.ca/ugme/files/ugme/2021-01-18_language_proficiency.pdf

Yes as of admission for Fall 2023, so I’m assuming that means as of applications in fall 2022?

59 minutes ago, hopefulpremed98 said:

No I meant if the exemption would still apply to those that did cegep and high school in Quebec considering the Montreal and outaouais campuses will require different levels of french to apply (B2 vs C1)

I feel like since it’s C1 they require it, they were saying how Outaouais is super French so I think it’s required but it wasn’t clear I think. I agree though McGill is basically my only shot so I’m glad this doesn’t seem to affect me

1 hour ago, veromedico said:

can u please elaborate on this " previously" section. I am kind of confused. 

Like that is what it currently is, from my understanding. And they said that about 80% of people who did the French test were good enough so I think that’s what made them say it’s fine as long as you did school in Quebec no need to do the test.