Premed 101 Forums

Upcoming council meeting to address MDCM admission update

ceelbe

3 minutes ago, ceelbe said:

In my case I have quite a few P/F courses due to my clinical rotations in nursing being P/F (not by my choice) so I was a bit hesitant to add more or like if ever McGill one day would say nvm we don’t accept P/F anymore then I’d be screwed haha. I haven’t P/F any courses otherwise, but I just graduated and my GPA is 3.91 and since I’m IP it’s fine I’m sure (I hope lol)

Ya that’s a good call. When I spoke to them on the phone they said it wouldn’t make a difference so long as there wasn’t an egregious amount of them or they were concentrated to the point that you can’t assess your GPA for a particular semester. So I took that to mean just stick with whats allowed and don’t go overboard

oh ya you’re more than fine for IP. I know people who have bee accepted with 3.7 GPA’s

2 minutes ago, fluffybunnyyyyy said:

did they say what the consequences were of having more than one P/F in a semester?

This is what they told me. So it looks like you should be fine, as it seems it’s either 1 per semester or 10% of your total credits. So I think you’re fine 

if it was a problem, I’d be pretty confident is saying that they’ll still review your application but you will perform worse in the academic context criteria.

97D4F219-14BB-4AF9-9173-EE9AB9FB8FB8.jpeg

3 minutes ago, veromedico said:

I wish they gave these updates much sooner!! I emailed them and they said, we will update you before Sep 1st!! 

Ya they told me the website would be updated in late summer. But from what they told me I think as long as you stay under the 10% p/f allotment McGill has under normal circumstances you should be fine.

2 minutes ago, mtlwatch2029 said:

This is what they told me. So it looks like you should be fine, as it seems it’s either 1 per semester or 10% of your total credits. So I think you’re fine 

if it was a problem, I’d be pretty confident is saying that they’ll still review your application but you will perform worse in the academic context criteria.

97D4F219-14BB-4AF9-9173-EE9AB9FB8FB8.jpeg

ohhhh ok, thank you!! I guess we'll wait and see.... its so stressful on our end when we have to make these kinds of decisions without knowing the guidelines LOL

1 minute ago, fluffybunnyyyyy said:

ohhhh ok, thank you!! I guess we'll wait and see.... its so stressful on our end when we have to make these kinds of decisions without knowing the guidelines LOL

Absolutely. The fact that I had to contact them to find out about the p/f options doesnt inspire confidence. That should be easily verifiable information. 

43 minutes ago, beegurl1993 said:

I had heard that they’re going to be including French proficiency (level B1 or above) as a pre req now. Has anyone also heard this? 

In the last few years, they've amped up the French requirements for nursing (which is part of the Faculty of Medicine at McGill), so I would not be surprised if the medical program also follows suit. 

9 minutes ago, beegurl1993 said:

@ADoseofLuck do you know if students were given ample time to meet French requirements (I.e introduced a couple of years before on the website before being implemented in admissions process) or, was it introduced one year and people were given only a few months notice? Thank you!

In our first semester of nursing school, those who did not go to a french cegep/high school had to complete a French placement test and, based on the results, take french language courses offered at McGill. Their main expectation is simply that students are proficient enough to speak with francophone patients in the clinical setting since, in the last few years, English-speaking clinical sites have become harder and harder to find. There isn't a set goal such as, "please be a level B1 French speaker by the end of your first year", but they want to minimize the difficulties that come with organizing clinical placements based on language proficiency. 

This is all based on my experience at McGill Nursing. Whether it can also be applied to McGill Medicine, I wouldn't know.

21 minutes ago, ADoseofLuck said:

This is all based on my experience at McGill Nursing. Whether it can also be applied to McGill Medicine, I wouldn't know.

It’s funny because when I check the McGill site for French proficiency it says it only applies to the BScN group, not BNI. Wonder why!

But yeah I’m sure they’d make it a requirement only in a year or something if so to give people time, I highly doubt they’ll say it’s effective this application cycle because that would screw a lot of people over lol

7 minutes ago, ceelbe said:

It’s funny because when I check the McGill site for French proficiency it says it only applies to the BScN group, not BNI. Wonder why!

Because BNI students have done cegep in Quebec, so there is the expectation that they've already taken French classes in cegep and worked with a francophone clientele. Meanwhile, the BScN program accepts a wide variety of students from OOP and other countries, many of whom have more difficulty adjusting to the clinical setting due to the language requirements.