Premed 101 Forums

McMaster Med Waitlist Party 2021

17 hours ago, mdavalon001 said:

:unsure:I wonder when ppl will start getting in from the waitlist :confused: 

It won't significantly move until after the 2 week commitment deadline, because they (and every school) over-offer with the assumption that a certain proportion will have multiple offers and choose a different school, so they can't know how many spots are available until everyone with multiple offers commits.

38 minutes ago, aND said:

Hello, will an offer appear on OMSAS as well or is email the only way we will know that we have an offer off of the waitlist?

In prior years, Wendy would email you to make sure that you haven't accepted another offer (OMSAS doesn't communicate with schools instantaneously so their data is not up to date). If you're available to accept the offer, they will put it in OMSAS where you officially accept. 

1 hour ago, ItsMedToBe said:

Congratulations on getting in to wherever you’re headed! If you don’t mind sharing, do you think there was anything you did during that year to substantially improve your application? Or do you think it was just “the luck of the draw”? 

2 hours ago, newmy88 said:

Will likely be declining my Hamilton spot! I know how hard being on a waitlist is as I was on Ottawa’s and never got off last year. I wish I had known what life had in store for me this year :) Good luck and hang in there everyone! 

Oh me too, I was devastated last year , just horrible process with rejections from all my applications except one Mac interview and even that got cancelled. The waitlist party honestly really helped, and the year turned out to be great, with a job I love and experience that helped with the interviews for sure. This time round I did a few things differently. I spent a lot of time on the essays - making sure I actually answered the questions and with my experiences woven into the answers. I listened to advice from everyone who would give it - not necessarily taking the advice but I found it helpful to get different perspectives. For the interviews I joined several prep groups and we practiced and practiced. I also worked with a voice coach because of the on-line aspect, making sure that my pitch and facial expressions didn't reveal how nervous I was. I've declined Hamilton campus so for sure there is a spot opening up ..and although I'm trying to erase last year's rejection from my memory I do recall that the waitlist moved as they got the spots opening up . Good luck everyone - you've come so far ..you will get there, just believe and hope. 

17 hours ago, newmy88 said:

Will likely be declining my Hamilton spot! I know how hard being on a waitlist is as I was on Ottawa’s and never got off last year. I wish I had known what life had in store for me this year :) Good luck and hang in there everyone! 

Where did you accept? I remember you from Ottawa waitlist last year when you just missed. So happy for you!

5 hours ago, ItsMedToBe said:

Congratulations on getting in to wherever you’re headed! If you don’t mind sharing, do you think there was anything you did during that year to substantially improve your application? Or do you think it was just “the luck of the draw”? 

Similar to @justamom , I did everything in my power to make myself the best human and applicant I could be this year. The extra year of working gave me a ton more experience with customer service, conflict resolution, and problem solving, which I think really helped not only to reflect in my essays, but also made me a better communicator in my interviews. I started my essays early, got tons of edits from anyone who would edit them (and didn’t always use the edits, but appreciated the insight). I prepped the crap out of CASPer by purchasing third party practice tests, brushing up on a ton of ethics, and increasing my typing speed. 
I think my biggest downfall last year was my interview prep. I knew I was a good person and had good people skills, but med interviews are a whole other ballgame. Last year I didn’t practice out loud once - that’s right. I didn’t think I needed to and I felt awkward doing it infront of others. Huge mistake. This year I was lucky to receive an interview to UBC which was in mid-December, so I really had a head start on prep which I think REALLY benefitted me. I didn’t want to make the same mistakes as last year, so I got over my fear of practicing with others and found 3-4 trusted friends who were either applying or already in med, and one of which who was not associated with med at all, to help me practice after work almost every night. I probably did AT LEAST an hour of prep a night for the three months I was interviewing. 
I 100% think that there is a luck component. Whether or not last year I was just super unlucky with only 1 interview or I was just super lucky this year with 5, I will never know. But I’m so grateful to be where I am and hard work and dedication definitely plays off! 
I hope this helps, and please feel free to PM me with any questions :) 

48 minutes ago, Left Line said:

Where did you accept? I remember you from Ottawa waitlist last year when you just missed. So happy for you!

Aw thank you SO much! It means a lot to me! 

I’m about 90% sure I’ll be accepting my Western offer, but there’s something about UBC that’s calling my name lol. I’m also on the waitlist for Ottawa (again lol, Ottawa and I just weren’t meant to be) and UofT but I don’t think those will move before I have to accept an offer! 

Me too! :D I keep thinking, today will be the day, today will be the day... but then there is also a part of me that thinks it might not come until after Tuesday. Does anyone know if applicants have to commit to an offer by a specific time on Tuesday (the 2-week deadline)? 

38 minutes ago, ItsMedToBe said:

Me too! :D I keep thinking, today will be the day, today will be the day... but then there is also a part of me that thinks it might not come until after Tuesday. Does anyone know if applicants have to commit to an offer by a specific time on Tuesday (the 2-week deadline)? 

I believe it is 11:59pm on May 25. Good luck everyone.