Premed 101 Forums

Queens: Research and Living?

Hi everyone :) I am very lucky to have received a couple different offers yesterday and am heavily leaning towards Queen's. Some of my concerns before I make a final decision are the following:

1. What is the availability like for research opportunities? I know this is an important part of residency admissions and am worried I won't be able to do things in specific fields/receive any authorships. Can any past/current students comment on this and the type of research Queen's conducts?

2. I'm struggling to find a more modern affordable apartment in Kingston. I absolutely LOVE the old architecture but am wondering if there was any more modern condos/apartments available near campus?

Thanks in advance! Super grateful for this opportunity.

Hi! QMed student here. 

1. Being a smaller school it is super easy to get involved in research. A lot of my friends just emailed docs they were interested in working with. If you are looking for publications I am sure you will be well supported as the school also recognizes research is important and in 2nd year we have a course that we acan do a research project with a mentor. Some people continue this after the 2nd year and work on publications. . A few of my friends are even doing multiple research projects!

2. Yeah so kingston isn't on the cheap side. Getting a roommate or two is super helpful though.  We have a facebook group for housing so make sure to check that out! Companies that are common include homesteads, BPE I found a place on kijiji. 

Make sure to join our facebook group as well! 

This is really helpful, since like Student98, I'm debating between Queens and another school. 

11 hours ago, drwatson said:

1. Being a smaller school it is super easy to get involved in research. A lot of my friends just emailed docs they were interested in working with. If you are looking for publications I am sure you will be well supported as the school also recognizes research is important and in 2nd year we have a course that we acan do a research project with a mentor. Some people continue this after the 2nd year and work on publications. . A few of my friends are even doing multiple research projects!

Jus wondering, is it possible (or even encouraged) to be involved in research outside of Queens? I'd love to keep working in my current lab, but I'm not sure if that would preclude me from research courses, summer research grants, etc. through the university. 

Thank you!

16 hours ago, eekinterviewsnextweek said:

This is really helpful, since like Student98, I'm debating between Queens and another school. 

Jus wondering, is it possible (or even encouraged) to be involved in research outside of Queens? I'd love to keep working in my current lab, but I'm not sure if that would preclude me from research courses, summer research grants, etc. through the university. 

Thank you!

Many people do research outside of Queens, either during the year or summer, or both. Indeed, especially for smaller specialties, people find a way to do research with people from another institution they are interested in (whether that's with staff, resident, or a staff's coordinators).