Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

Do you need lmcc to start residency?


Recommended Posts

Hey everyone,

 

i’m an incoming pgy1 in toronto. Im wondering if i need the lmcc1 to start.

 

are there any deadlines?

what if i fail?

 

i’m looking to postpone until september but my departments office doesn’t know the answer. They told me to contact pgme but i cant get ahold of them!

 

thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, textbook88 said:

Got it- is this 100% confirmed?? I am going to push my LMCC then and don't want to be in a situation where I can't start residency lol

I have never seen a residency program actually need to start - which is why that exam which has a non-zero failure rate isn't talked about in horrible terms ha (imagine if 5% of all resident had their start time delayed because of that exam for instance - it would be CARMS all over again). 

I have heard of some med schools that required it to pass their programs but that is separate from residency itself. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, rmorelan said:

I have heard of some med schools that required it to pass their programs but that is separate from residency itself. 

That used to be the case at the school that I went to in French-speaking Quebec, but they changed their policies years ago.  I don't think it's an official requirement anywhere., anymore.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, indefatigable said:

That used to be the case at the school that I went to in French-speaking Quebec, but they changed their policies years ago.  I don't think it's an official requirement anywhere., anymore.

good to know! It was always a stupid rule when it was in place. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2021 at 8:44 AM, textbook88 said:

Hey everyone,

 

i’m an incoming pgy1 in toronto. Im wondering if i need the lmcc1 to start.

 

are there any deadlines?

what if i fail?

 

i’m looking to postpone until september but my departments office doesn’t know the answer. They told me to contact pgme but i cant get ahold of them!

 

thanks

You don't need it, but try your best not to postpone and get it out of the way you can. Less stress having it on the back of your mind during R1. Its a pointless test, and if you prepare at least a reasonable amount, majority of CMGs pass just fine. I've been seeing a few posts of people stressing over the exam and worried about their practice question/exam scores and weather or not they should postpone etc based on them. Either way its not the end of the world either doing it during R1 - just gets a bit annoying trying to restudy material outside of your residency focus the further out from med you get.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, MedZZZ said:

Do programs see the actual score or just PASS/FAIL? Also, does it have any impact in case you want to transfer to another program? Thanks

 

I am not sure about programs yet, but your provincial college gets to see your score. I don't think the score ever matters, from what I've seen. Just pass.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...