Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

Curious: do/did you guys tell others you’re trying for med?


Recommended Posts

Just for fun because I’m curious...for those who are/were “premed”, did you disclose that this was your goal to your friends, extended family, fellow classmates, etc? Or did you keep it more to yourself (minus maybe parents, best friends, type thing). Why or why not?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi!

*Sorry for the bad english, I speak french*

Personally, I chose not to tell barely anyone about it. Knowing that the chances of being rejected were high, I didn't want to have to announce a refusal to everyone. Also, I didn't want them to have pity for me or anything (during Christmas supper at table with my family lol). Moreover, I didn't want to be asked questions (did you get your answers yet??) while I was waiting because I was afraid that it would stress me even more. I only told my boyfriend.

Also, in class, there was like 15-20 persons out of 30 who wanted to go in med. Knowing that it is an extremely competitive program, I prefered to avoid the delicate subject and I told everyone I was applying in something else.

Unfortunately, someone in my family learned it and spread the word, and I can tell you that I hated the remaining weeks: I found it 1000x more stress-full as I expected. It's like I used to deal alone with my personal pressure, and it was fine because I could control it + control when I wanted to think about it. But then, it changed into a big public pressure (always someone to bring it up when I was taking a day off or whatever, and I thought a lot of times « now if I don't get in I will disappoint everyone »). So in my personal experience (I lived the both options), I really preferred to keep it to myself and my boyfriend.

On the other hand, I joined a Messenger group of pre-med students (I met them on the forum) and I really loved to share my thoughts with them because they had the same stress! I think it's a great compromise.

At the end of day, some people may prefer to share it in advance with their loved ones, I guess it depends for each person. Hope this helps! :)

Oh and I finally got two weeks ago btw, I got lucky :P

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi there - I am a recently accepted applicant in my 30s and I chose not to tell anyone that I was even considering applying to medicine, except for my partner and my referees/verifiers. Similar to the other poster, I knew the odds were tough, and I didn't want people in my current career to think I was checked out. It was difficult at times to keep it secret (why was I volunteering so much? why was I always so busy? ...i.e. studying for MCAT, prepping application materials, interviews). But in retrospect I'm glad I kept it mostly to myself, as it meant there was less stress and expectation, and now I have the fun task of telling everyone and surprising them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Turquoise said:

Knowing that the chances of being rejected were high, I didn't want to have to announce a refusal to everyone. Also, I didn't want them to have pity for me or anything (during Christmas supper at table with my family lol). Moreover, I didn't want to be asked questions (did you get your answers yet??) while I was waiting because I was afraid that it would stress me even more. I only told my boyfriend.

Honestly this is 100% my reasoning too! I’ve told my mom, boyfriend, and only just recently one of my best friends. I was honestly the same way when I gave birth to my first baby I didn’t tell anyone I was in labour until I was about to push because it’s way less stressful when people aren’t messaging you 24/7 asking how it’s going :lol: Congrats on your acceptance!

2 minutes ago, CanNonTrad said:

Hi there - I am a recently accepted applicant in my 30s and I chose not to tell anyone that I was even considering applying to medicine, except for my partner and my referees/verifiers. Similar to the other poster, I knew the odds were tough, and I didn't want people in my current career to think I was checked out. It was difficult at times to keep it secret (why was I volunteering so much? why was I always so busy? ...i.e. studying for MCAT, prepping application materials, interviews). But in retrospect I'm glad I kept it mostly to myself, as it meant there was less stress and expectation, and now I have the fun task of telling everyone and surprising them.

Yeah see I’m also a non-trad applicant (almost 30, an RN, have young kids) and so I feel like there’s a lot more judgment about *still* being a student lol. I’m keeping it to myself too and it’s definitely hard to hide being so busy sometimes but I think it’s way less stressful than everyone knowing my business and asking questions 24/7 and pitying me if I don’t get in. Congrats on getting in, you must be over the moon! Hoping that’ll be me soon, applying for the first time this upcoming cycle :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, CanNonTrad said:

Hi there - I am a recently accepted applicant in my 30s and I chose not to tell anyone that I was even considering applying to medicine, except for my partner and my referees/verifiers. Similar to the other poster, I knew the odds were tough, and I didn't want people in my current career to think I was checked out. It was difficult at times to keep it secret (why was I volunteering so much? why was I always so busy? ...i.e. studying for MCAT, prepping application materials, interviews). But in retrospect I'm glad I kept it mostly to myself, as it meant there was less stress and expectation, and now I have the fun task of telling everyone and surprising them.

Omg, I thought I was the only psycho who kept it as a secret that much! Glad to know I am not the only one that had a double secret life :lol:

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ceelbe said:

Honestly this is 100% my reasoning too! I’ve told my mom, boyfriend, and only just recently one of my best friends. I was honestly the same way when I gave birth to my first baby I didn’t tell anyone I was in labour until I was about to push because it’s way less stressful when people aren’t messaging you 24/7 asking how it’s going :lol: Congrats on your acceptance!

Yeah see I’m also a non-trad applicant (almost 30, an RN, have young kids) and so I feel like there’s a lot more judgment about *still* being a student lol. I’m keeping it to myself too and it’s definitely hard to hide being so busy sometimes but I think it’s way less stressful than everyone knowing my business and asking questions 24/7 and pitying me if I don’t get in. Congrats on getting in, you must be over the moon! Hoping that’ll be me soon, applying for the first time this upcoming cycle :) 

Haha yes we understand each other! Good luck, I wish you the best! :wub:

Link to post
Share on other sites

it was a weird dynamic at UTSG undergrad. basically you assume all the life sci undergrads want to go to med, then slowly people who falter reveal themselves and maybe they go to pharm or nursing or something, and at the end whoever is left standing is assumed to have got into med or went kamikaze or something; it was pretty mind boggling guessing where your classmates all went, feel like game theory 101 haha.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, shikimate said:

it was a weird dynamic at UTSG undergrad. basically you assume all the life sci undergrads want to go to med, then slowly people who falter reveal themselves and maybe they go to pharm or nursing or something, and at the end whoever is left standing is assumed to have got into med or went kamikaze or something; it was pretty mind boggling guessing where your classmates all went, feel like game theory 101 haha.

Felt the same at UTSC

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/12/2021 at 5:11 PM, ceelbe said:

Just for fun because I’m curious...for those who are/were “premed”, did you disclose that this was your goal to your friends, extended family, fellow classmates, etc? Or did you keep it more to yourself (minus maybe parents, best friends, type thing). Why or why not?

Sort of as a last resort, like if they ask what Im studying I say my major but if they ask what I want to do after school I'll tell them. The only time Im more hesitant is in certain volunteer interviews or with research PIs lol. My current PIs are really supportive but I didnt go in saying "F*** research, Im gonna be a doctor" ya know.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...