Premed 101 Forums

Waitlist Support Thread 2021

2 hours ago, kwrgvnq said:

Hi guys, I know how much this wait must suck. I just wanted to come in and let you know that around 84 new people (not in one of the upper year med classes) have joined the Class of 2024 facebook group. This number includes some people who deferred from last year.  

Thanks for letting us know. Do you know if ~84 initial acceptances (including those that deferred from last year) is normal? There has been talk of the U of C waitlist supposedly moving a lot, but that seems like a ton of seats filled already and we aren't even at the deposit deadline yet.  

3 minutes ago, garceyues said:

Thanks for letting us know. Do you know if ~84 initial acceptances (including those that deferred from last year) is normal? There has been talk of the U of C waitlist supposedly moving a lot, but that seems like a ton of seats filled already and we aren't even at the deposit deadline yet.  

^^ I would also like to know this. I feel like most people who wanted to go to U of C as their first choice would have accepted by now? And then the people who have not decided yet are probably between schools! - Just trying to be positive haha

5 hours ago, rdk1865 said:

Also remember that lots of people on the waitlist who are offered a spot end up declining their UofC offer! Last year they had to send out 296 offers to fill 139 seats!

Where did you get the 296 number? AFMC doc says 241 for 19/20. The admissions blog says 276 offers for 18/19 but the AFMC doc says 245 for that year. I wonder what explains the disparity.

https://www.afmc.ca/sites/default/files/pdf/2021_admission-requirements_EN.pdf

5 hours ago, kwrgvnq said:

Hi guys, I know how much this wait must suck. I just wanted to come in and let you know that around 84 new people (not in one of the upper year med classes) have joined the Class of 2024 facebook group. This number includes some people who deferred from last year.  

This does seem high, I assumed the vast majority of declined offers would come from the first batch of offers, but maybe I'm operating on a false assumption? I do know people sometimes join the group then leave if they get in elsewhere, a friend had accepted their offer and joined the group only to get off the waitlist at Queens and ended up going there (don't think this is common though). 

I would also love to know where the 296 number came from that @rdk1865 posted? That seems crazy high, especially if the ~84 current acceptances is normal. 

On 5/17/2021 at 12:24 PM, garceyues said:

3 hours ago, rdk1865 said:

Also remember that lots of people on the waitlist who are offered a spot end up declining their UofC offer! Last year they had to send out 296 offers to fill 139 seats!

Like @zoxysaid I am also curious where you got these numbers from. I am pretty sure that the AFMC doc is off but did Dr. P mention that 296 offers went out last year on the blog somewhere? There is a total of 338 people that were accepted or waitlisted this cycle, so if anything around 296 offers are also made this cycle it would seem as though there’s a lot of hope for those on the waitlist. 

10 minutes ago, kwrgvnq said:

I think this is pretty normal! Last year when the first round of waitlists went out the class was 75% full already. I think the waitlist moves a lot to fill those last 25% of seats because a lot of people on the waitlist end up declining their offers :)

Fair enough! 84 acceptances is only 62% of the current class capacity so it looks like we are in a better position than last year unless quite a few more people accept before the first round of waitlist offers releases. Hopefully there’s a lot of movement within that last third/quarter/however many seats aren't initially filled as well :)

38 minutes ago, kwrgvnq said:

I think this is pretty normal! Last year when the first round of waitlists went out the class was 75% full already. I think the waitlist moves a lot to fill those last 25% of seats because a lot of people on the waitlist end up declining their offers :)

This makes me feel much better lol.

3 minutes ago, medyforest said:

Not to give everyone anxiety but I just saw on the other online forum site that someone was accepted off the waitlist...not sure if it's a troll, lol that would be pretty evil if so...but good luck everyone, wishing the best for us all. 

They said they're IP too :o, I looked at their profile and this is the only post/comment they've made so I guess it could be a troll? This gave me a heart attack lol

27 minutes ago, medyforest said:

lol what kind of buthurt ass**** would do that....

is trolling on these forums something common? 

I feel like I have been seeing it a bit more frequently although maybe I'm just spending too much time on these forums lol. But yeah you just have to take everything you see on these sites with a healthy dose of skepticism. What a waste of existence to make premed troll posts though, like bro go work on your application for next year and get some help lol

4 hours ago, garceyues said:

Remo just updated the blog, waitlist is anticipated to start moving on Thursday! We also now have confirmation that we can disregard the troll :lol: 

Only 18 people have declined their offers so far which seems quite low :unsure:

Keep in mind that only 88 have accepted. If they haven't accepted yet, it is possible that they are going to reject or just let the time on the offer run out too. Over 40 seats still up for grabs :)!

8 hours ago, garceyues said:

Remo just updated the blog, waitlist is anticipated to start moving on Thursday! We also now have confirmation that we can disregard the troll :lol: 

Only 18 people have declined their offers so far which seems quite low :unsure:

This made me sad too...this means even less IP waitlist spots. Does anyone know if the 88 who have accepted include deferrals?