Premed 101 Forums

Waitlist Support Thread 2021

43 minutes ago, garceyues said:

Anyone hear anything today? I'm kinda surprised that we haven’t heard from Remo that the 10 remaining seats have been filled at this point. All my WL friends made it off and I want to scream into the void LOL (very happy for them don’t get me wrong!)

This hits so close to home. All of the people I know applying this year got in except me and it hurts :( 

7 minutes ago, medhopeful2024 said:

This hits so close to home. All of the people I know applying this year got in except me and it hurts :( 

I'm sorry my friend, it's definitely a terrible feeling. I keep thinking about all the great people I met while applying this cycle that will likely become periphery contacts since they are starting med and I will be somewhere else. The FOMO on the med experience and drifting away from those people sucks. If its any solace, when our time comes, we will have a new cohort of amazing people to forge meaningful connections with. Even so, this cycle isn't over quite yet

Hey everyone, I wanted to start off by saying if you don't get the news that you were hoping for this year, I am so sorry. This process can seem so daunting and outright impossible at time. I know everyone says "there's always next year" and that probably isn't what you want to hear but truly this isn't a matter of if you'll get in but when. If this is what you want to do, never give up. You WILL be a doctor if this is where your heart lies! This was my 5th consecutive application cycle and I am so grateful to be able to say that I was offered a seat off the waitlist yesterday (IP) at 1:24pm (MST)! If you didn't get a seat this year you are not a failure- think of how much you learned over this past year, how many people you've helped, and how those experiences will translate into providing your future patients with even better care when you finally get in (and you will <3). I'd like to thank everyone on this thread, even though I didn't post, I was checking this page everyday and the support was really comforting. I hope you could all receive an offer for this year and I'm sure some of you still will before class starts! I know it's hard, but keep your chin up, take the time to process your feelings and emotions when this cycle is over (which it isn't yet!!!), and then come back with vengeance for next cycle- know that I am rooting for you <3.

Edited by PTwhatt
Add IP info

8 hours ago, garceyues said:

Anyone else shocked that the class supposedly hasn't been filled yet? Orientation literally starts in like 10 days. I presume that at least one of the two final offers that were sent in the last blog post was turned down given that we haven't had any updates since then. I know its basically over but I just want closure and to be able to move on with my life...

That’s pretty typical I’m afraid. There’s stories of people finding out 2 days prior if I recall correctly. It’s an imperfect system but hopefully people get their spots or closure soon :/

49 minutes ago, Sifaka said:

How long do you think they're giving people to either reject or accept the offers? 

I would think it would only be a few days at this point given how close we are to classes starting, but the slow movement would suggest otherwise. Only someone who got a waitlist offer or a staff member can tell us at the end of the day

Hey waitlisters, hope you're doing alright. I also wanted to provide an update with information from the other side (I was rejected but I have some friends that were accepted to U of C). The small group lists have been sent out and it seems that everyone who is matriculating so far is on it. There are thirteen groups of 12 and one group of 11, which adds up to 167 matriculants. Remo only published that the "new seat" number is 135 so it's hard to find whether or not 167 is true maximum size of the class.  

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone here also applied to the ualebrta DDS program and have recently gotten an acceptance letter? Is anyone planning on declining their dental spot for med? 

I just want to get some idea on how likely the waitlist will move for this year.

Any help will be appreciated! 

Thanks,

desperate fellow

• 2 weeks later...

Remo won't give us our file scores this year :(

https://wpsites.ucalgary.ca/mdadmissions/2021/07/15/re-update-release-of-scores-from-last-cycle/

Good morning applicants from previous cycles,

We have been getting several requests regarding the release of scores from the 2020-21 cycle. We are one of the few schools who release scores historically. Unfortunately, this year, we will not be releasing scores due to the change and update in the platform.

What I can offer is some general numbers and observations:

1) Interviews were extended to those applicants in the top 30th percentile.

2) If you were on the waitlist you were at/or above the 50th percentile after the interview stage.

3) If you were left on the waiting list you were between the 40th and 50th percentile.

Remo