Premed 101 Forums

Moonlighting

Ahem *taps mic* moonlighting amirite?

So seriously, what's the deal with moonlighting?
I understand you have to be at least PGY 2-4 to do it and it is specialty/program/location dependent, but I have a few questions for clarification.
Is it after writing FR exams/CCFP? Would you still be eligible as an R3 in a fellowship for family medicine?

What are the individual experiences of this sub, I'm interested most in the options for FM, Anesthesia, Psych, and IM because that's who my circle mostly consists of but please share any experiences as they will surely benefit someone. Is it one size fits all, so any "MD/resident" has equal opportunity to moonlighting opportunities, or is it specific to your discipline/scope of practice?

Thanks for any and all info o7

50 minutes ago, Understandable said:

Ahem *taps mic* moonlighting amirite?

So seriously, what's the deal with moonlighting?
I understand you have to be at least PGY 2-4 to do it and it is specialty/program/location dependent, but I have a few questions for clarification.
Is it after writing FR exams/CCFP? Would you still be eligible as an R3 in a fellowship for family medicine?

What are the individual experiences of this sub, I'm interested most in the options for FM, Anesthesia, Psych, and IM because that's who my circle mostly consists of but please share any experiences as they will surely benefit someone. Is it one size fits all, so any "MD/resident" has equal opportunity to moonlighting opportunities, or is it specific to your discipline/scope of practice?

Thanks for any and all info o7

In theory you can moonlight once you're certified and doing fellowship. For instance if you're doing a +1 in ER after doing CCFP you could "moonlight" in a clinic or urgent care. Most programs will have contract provisions requiring you to clear it with your program so YMMV.

I'm wary of this kind of thing, is it "discouraged" as in they would officially recommend you don't do it?
Or discouraged in the sense of don't talk to your school about it and you can still be fine aka if you talk to them about it you'll be on some shit list for attitude and snakery?

And has anyone actually done it before? What kind of work would be entailed (ie Walk in clinic work, ER work, GP-like activities or FR?)?
Is the pay full attending billings or do you pay for the overhead/practice setting as well?

As much specific testimonials (or from friends' experience etc.) I can get the better for painting the picture of the situation.

Thanks for any and all help so far

Some places will have official policies requiring you to discuss it prior to doing it, some just discourage it as usually residency can be busy and has heavy burn out, if you're doing extra shifts that might add to that. And might expressly forbid doing overnight shifts within a certain time frame of residency work for safety reasons, etc.

If you have your CCFP and do a +1 in something, and then "moonlight"...you would be billing the same as a CCFP who isn't in a +1.  You would also be paying overheads splits etc that you arrange with the clinic as per usual.  I wouldn't even call this moonlighting, since you have your full CCFP license.  You're just working as usual but with significantly less availabilty due to residency obligations. Virtually nothing is different. CMPA would be covering you.

Your program might not like it, and certainly you can't work in the same hospital etc, but you can easily work on your days off (weekends on light rotations), and/or evenings for short shifts in walk-ins etc. Again, as long as it has no interference with your program, they shouldn't care, as long as you are smart about it. For example, don't do an urgent care shit overnight in between residency duty shifts. 

You're doing a +1 for a reason likely, so really you should just be immersing yourself in whatever field that is...instead of picking up random Walk-in shifts or FM clinics.

For Royal college residents, the ones I know who have moonlighted, have again done overnight float coverages in hospital on weekends/days off - usually at a different hospital than their current residency rotation.  5 year emerg residents i know, regularly do coverage shifts  a few times a month at a different ER department, again making full-attending money.. but just without the full-time bonuses etc.  

• 1 month later...