Premed 101 Forums

General Practice Residency (GPR) Programs in Canada

Hello! I'm looking to speak to recent former students in the GPR programs in Canada (specifically UBC, U of A, and Dalhousie, but am interested in other schools as well). I have some questions about the programs themselves and want to see it from a student's opinion. If you or know of anyone that was in/are in these programs please direct message me or reply to this forum.

I've found it pretty hard to find information on these programs besides the information on applicant websites, and the whole process seems very hush hush. Would love to have more info about the programs available to current applicants. 

15 hours ago, dentistrydmd said:

Depends… what are you looking for in a program? 

I want something a little more than just operative dentistry and working in the student clinic. I'd highly value hospital and complex cases involving people with different abilities and kids too. I was just hoping to get a residents' (former or current) perspective on the program. 

8 hours ago, t33f said:

I want something a little more than just operative dentistry and working in the student clinic. I'd highly value hospital and complex cases involving people with different abilities and kids too. I was just hoping to get a residents' (former or current) perspective on the program. 

There are top notch programs at University of Alberta, McGill-MGH, McGill-Jewish General Hospital.

Make sure you do your research and find out exactly what you will learn during your time there.  

Will you learn implants, advance oral surgery, IV sedation, paedodontics, endo, etc?  If so, it’s probably a great investment in your future.  

But I’ve heard that some programs are just bread and butter dentistry on mostly medically compromised patients.  

Depending on the scope of the program, you may learn more from a well-mentored associateship.  

3 hours ago, Ostracized said:

Make sure you do your research and find out exactly what you will learn during your time there.  

Will you learn implants, advance oral surgery, IV sedation, paedodontics, endo, etc?  If so, it’s probably a great investment in your future.  

But I’ve heard that some programs are just bread and butter dentistry on mostly medically compromised patients.  

Depending on the scope of the program, you may learn more from a well-mentored associateship.  

Yes that's what I've seen and from talking around. It seems that U of A and Dalhousie for example is mostly just "bread and butter" and nothing more than that. The idea of having a good associateship that would benefit me just as well seems like a viable option too.