Premed 101 Forums

CPSO application question about communicable disease - implications for start of residency, licensing

I'm an incoming PGY1 and on the CPSO application it asks for disclosure if we are carriers of communicable diseases such as TB. I've had a positive TST (exactly 10mm) a few years ago, and have remained asymptomatic and had negative CXRs throughout. I immediately started a 9 month course of isoniazid at the positive TST. Despite all of this, would I still be considered a carrier since I have no possible explanation like a BCG vaccine?

If so and I need to answer yes, what are the implications? It notes on the CPSO website that answering yes to any of these questions can increase the already 4-5 week processing time by 5-7 weeks, which would put me past the start of residency by the time my application is accepted. Does anyone have experience with this? Also are there any implications for future licensure and practice?

• resident1234 changed the title to CPSO application question about communicable disease - implications for start of residency, licensing

You might also run into this problem when you apply for elective etc. Basically I had multiple negative skin tests but once out of the blue I had a positive, probably BCG related. In any case had to do CXR show nothin active then was accepted by other schools for elective. I think the alternative was a Quantiferon Gold test (where BCG does not cause false positive), but that cost 95$ whereas CXR was covered.