Premed 101 Forums

Where do med students live in Hamilton?

Hi everyone,

I've just accepted my offer to Mac and am so excited to get started on this journey! However, I live a few hours away and don't know much about Hamilton or where I should be looking to live. I would prefer to live in an apartment, and would prefer to live alone (but would also consider living with a roommate who is in med).

Are there specific apartment buildings that the Mac med students frequently live in? What suggestions do you have based on your experience? So far I've looked up Market Street Apartments and found some good reviews.

Thank you!

There's no one area in Hamilton that med students tend to live. If you're looking for a roommate, there are student rented houses in Westdale. Some people also rent houses near Locke Street South. I knew a few of my classmates lived in 150 Main St W. It's a big, newer building. I would say downtown/Locke St/near the university are the main areas. I knew almost no one who lived up on the mountain. It's a bit harder to get to the majority of sites from up there, although the Juravinski Hospital and one St. Joe's site (for pscyh mainly) are on the mountain, those two sites are quite accessible from downtown. The other 3 hospitals are either near downtown or on campus. I lived near Hamilton General and quite liked it, although some people will tell you it's a sketchy area, I have personally found it cute and quiet where I lived.

Market Street apartments is RIGHT downtown, you might like that. It quite close to Nation's foods in Jackson Square Mall. It's not right on King or Main so that's good, it won't be as noisy. I don't know anything else about it though!

Seemed like main areas were 3-4 people renting houses in Westdale, or apartments around the Main/Queen area with proximity to Locke St. and Hess Village. I lived near Locke and it was pretty nice, roughly at 12 min drive to the University. The only people I knew on the mountain were people with families that wanted to rent a house and the prices were more reasonable.