Premed 101 Forums

UWO Dentistry: Repeating a pre-req course, which grade would be taken?

Hey everyone,

Hope you're doing well and safe. So in applying to Schulich dental school, one of the prereqs are Human Physiology. I got a 73 in this course, and saw from some older sources that a 74.5 was once required for all prerequisite course. Whether this is still the case or not, I do realize it would not be competitive enough and was retaking it in a Spring term. If I hypothetically achieved a 90 in the class this time, how would it appear in the application process?

Would they take the average of the 73 and 90 and make it 81.5? Would they take it and only look at the 90 achieved as the pre-req grade for the course? Would retaking the course altogether be looked at in a negative light if the first grade was not very good?

Apologies for this word mess! Thank you!

• Gurvir changed the title to UWO Dentistry: Repeating a pre-req course, which grade would be taken?
4 hours ago, Gurvir said:

Hey everyone,

Hope you're doing well and safe. So in applying to Schulich dental school, one of the prereqs are Human Physiology. I got a 73 in this course, and saw from some older sources that a 74.5 was once required for all prerequisite course. Whether this is still the case or not, I do realize it would not be competitive enough and was retaking it in a Spring term. If I hypothetically achieved a 90 in the class this time, how would it appear in the application process?

Would they take the average of the 73 and 90 and make it 81.5? Would they take it and only look at the 90 achieved as the pre-req grade for the course? Would retaking the course altogether be looked at in a negative light if the first grade was not very good?

Apologies for this word mess! Thank you!

They take whatever grade you get the second time. Whether it’s better or worse doesn’t matter, they’ll take the second attempt (without averaging the two). 
I don’t think a second attempt would look bad as UWO gave me an interview after taking courses twice :) hope that helps. 

1 hour ago, Makarzo said:

I don't think they care about the grade of course as long as you pass it, only thing they care about is GPA of your best two years and DAT scores 

Wow really, so grades in pre-req courses don't matter if they're not in your best 2 years? Because it seemed like they used to require a 74.5 in all pre-req courses

Hey, I think they’ve changed the requirement to just a pass. They require just a pass on the prereqs since covid, and they’ve said it applies regardless of it was before or after

i got a D in orgo 2nd year, but repeated and got an A. Repeated it but it ended up being nothing + wasted tuition and time. 

anyway, check the requirements again and see if you really need it