Premed 101 Forums

urgent!! How not to match? Ie remove myself from the match without getting blacklisted by carms?

significant change in personal circumstances. I only interviewed at 2 places. Ranked one but two different streams. FM. But want to now ..just not take it. I don't know what to do but I also don't want to get blacklisted from applying to carms in the future..

Please help?

Did the deadline pass for ROL submission? I think it’s pretty binding once it’s submitted and the deadline has passed. Carms is pretty clear about this. If you put a program on your list and rank it and the deadline has passed legally I really don’t think there’s anything you can do I’m sorry :(  other than try to switch out after you start. 

I wouldn't panic yet - as you don't know yet if you've matched.  

It looks like CaRMS does gives some leeway

However, Residency Programs may release an applicant from their binding commitment should they meet both conditions listed below:

1. An exceptional applicant circumstance, such as:

• Demonstrated applicant hardship
  • Failure to complete the pre-assessment period prior to the residency training start date (IMGs only)
  • Unable to obtain an educational license/certificate/permit/registration from the applicable provincial MRA by the residency training start date
  • Unable to obtain an MD by the residency training start date

2. The applicant has completed 45 days or less of residency training. An applicant cannot be released (and considered eligible for the current or future first iterations of the R-1 Main Residency Match) if they have more than 45 days of residency training. For example, if CaRMS receives a release letter 90 days after an applicant’s residency training start date, but the applicant only completed 45 days or less of residency training in that period (which could be due to leaves or any interruption to their training), they will still meet the requirement as the time elapsed does not count.

https://www.carms.ca/policies/

So for instance if there is some specific hardship due to changed personal circumstances - which you could maybe think about outlining.  Or if you were unable to obtain documentation on time that would mean you may be released (as you mentioned you were an IMG on another post).

But, if you simply don't show up, then you will be essentially 'blacklisted'. 

3 hours ago, indefatigable said:

I wouldn't panic yet - as you don't know yet if you've matched.  

It looks like CaRMS does gives some leeway

However, Residency Programs may release an applicant from their binding commitment should they meet both conditions listed below:

1. An exceptional applicant circumstance, such as:

• Demonstrated applicant hardship
  • Failure to complete the pre-assessment period prior to the residency training start date (IMGs only)
  • Unable to obtain an educational license/certificate/permit/registration from the applicable provincial MRA by the residency training start date
  • Unable to obtain an MD by the residency training start date

2. The applicant has completed 45 days or less of residency training. An applicant cannot be released (and considered eligible for the current or future first iterations of the R-1 Main Residency Match) if they have more than 45 days of residency training. For example, if CaRMS receives a release letter 90 days after an applicant’s residency training start date, but the applicant only completed 45 days or less of residency training in that period (which could be due to leaves or any interruption to their training), they will still meet the requirement as the time elapsed does not count.

https://www.carms.ca/policies/

So for instance if there is some specific hardship due to changed personal circumstances - which you could maybe think about outlining.  Or if you were unable to obtain documentation on time that would mean you may be released (as you mentioned you were an IMG on another post).

But, if you simply don't show up, then you will be essentially 'blacklisted'. 

Without giving us more about the personal circumstance and longevity of it, best I can advise is to consider the above. You have to decide whether you could do a few mos of residency, and ask for a leave of absence or transfer to help, or to leave the process with a possible "blacklist" mark against you. If the circumstance is severe enough to want to stop residency but still remain eligible in the future R1 cycle, that's going to involve a lot of formulation on your side as to what sacrifices you make and for what outcome.