Premed 101 Forums

57 minutes ago, MedWarrior said:

Does anyone know how many members are currently on the fb group that they have for new med students? 

The wait is killing me and I am starting to think there’s no hope for me being in the 2nd quartile :(

All the best to people in 1st quartile though! 

Last I checked they had around 83! I’m in the second quartile as well so I know what a hard spot it is to be in :/ 

i hope we hear good news soon :unsure:

1 hour ago, MedWarrior said:

Does anyone know how many members are currently on the fb group that they have for new med students? 

The wait is killing me and I am starting to think there’s no hope for me being in the 2nd quartile :(

All the best to people in 1st quartile though! 

I was accepted and am in the Facebook group. There are currently 84 members (2 admins and about 9 SMSS members... as far as I know).

I am sure there will be more changes to come, so dont give up hope! I was waitlisted last year in the 4th quartile. 

Good luck to those on the waitlist! :) 

On 5/15/2021 at 4:51 PM, zoxy said:

OOP wait list is slightly shorter than last year's which had 45. IP is also shorter than last year's which had 102 but I don't know how much shorter. Only 24 people declined their offer last year and that's combining OOP, IP, and AAP. Seven people deferred in 2020 while only 5 had deferred in 2019. If you want to look at the data, I have the link at the bottom. Ignore the success rate numbers from 19/20 though, they're broken for all of the schools including USask for the 19/20 cycle.

https://www.afmc.ca/sites/default/files/pdf/2021_admission-requirements_EN.pdf

Just curious, how do you know the OOP waitlist is shorter than last year? That was my assumption too, given the 2 rounds of rejections, but it was only a guess. As someone on the OOP waitlist, any info would help alleviate anxiety lol 

25 minutes ago, Saskapp12 said:

That was my assumption too, given the 2 rounds of rejections, but it was only a guess. As someone on the OOP waitlist, any info would help alleviate anxiety lol

I'm sorry I can't divulge this but I have it on excellent authority. Which quartile are you in? Did they send emails this Friday like they said they would and if they did, how many of the 5 spots are still left?

Just now, zoxy said:

I'm sorry I can't divulge this but I have it on good authority. Which quartile are you in? Did they send emails this Friday like they said they would and if they dd, how many of the 5 spots are still left?

No worries! Unfortunately 3rd, so I know my odds are extremely low based on movement last year, but the email from Friday said 0 spots have been filled thus far, which has given me a (potentially misguided) glimmer of hope. Offers are still being made in the 1st quartile as of the Friday email 

13 minutes ago, Saskapp12 said:

Unfortunately 3rd, so I know my odds are extremely low based on movement last year

That's where I was last year and I didn't get in at USask. But again, waitlist is shorter this year so you might have a shot.

13 minutes ago, Saskapp12 said:

Friday said 0 spots have been filled thus far, which has given me a (potentially misguided) glimmer of hope.

So all is not lost!

Also I would highly recommend getting off of this forum if you're on the wait list. I didn't touch this forum when I was waitlsited at a couple of places last year and I think it did a lot for my sanity. The waitlist threads are toxic. I can feel the sheer desperation from some of the waitlsit threads, especially Ottawa's.

I must have gone back to the AFMC doc and tried to calculate my probability off getting of those waitlists at least ten time during the first few days. It's mentally exhausting and fruitless. You have a good MCAT, GPA and the greatest CARS score known to mankind if I remember correctly. Even if you don't get in this cycle I'm sure you'll get in next year. Take a deep breath, relax, and go outside.

I personally spent my time running, walking to the beach, cooking,baking, and reading novels.

I haven't heard anything, I'm in the 1st quartile. The FB group has 90 members now so there has been a bit of movement, but I am thinking they may start sending them in weekly waves on Fridays? I'm really not sure though, their last email on the 21st was ambiguous to me. Fingers crossed for us all though, what an excruciating wait!

16 minutes ago, YankyYeet said:

I haven't heard anything, I'm in the 1st quartile. The FB group has 90 members now so there has been a bit of movement, but I am thinking they may start sending them in weekly waves on Fridays? I'm really not sure though, their last email on the 21st was ambiguous to me. Fingers crossed for us all though, what an excruciating wait!

Well, best of luck! Hopefully an offer falls your way. 

It’s incredibly hard being in the second quartile lol. You have a small glimmer of hope, but it quickly fades. Crazy that this will be two years in a row where they will more than likely not even clear the first quartile of the wait list. 

I guess all you can do is try to stay positive and try again next year. 

11 minutes ago, Anon3222 said:

It’s incredibly hard being in the second quartile lol. You have a small glimmer of hope, but it quickly fades. Crazy that this will be two years in a row where they will more than likely not even clear the first quartile of the wait list. 

They should include that in this Friday's update I believe, which quartile they are offering spots to from the waitlist, that is. Doesn't make it easier or change the outcome, but they should update us in some capacity tomorrow. That is very tough though. Fingers crossed for us all.

12 hours ago, Anon3222 said:

I wish we at least knew how many people were on the waitlist. I would rather know there isn’t a chance of getting an offer than have this false hope. 

18 minutes ago, gdfullnight said:

Wonder if they’ll send out a batch tmrw since I assume no ones heard all week? What could they update us on if there’s no new offers lol

I wish they could send emails earlier in the day. They seem to send out emails between 2 & 4:30pm, so I'm jumping at every email I get before then...

Hopefully the update tomorrow is helpful and some of us get off the waitlist !! :)

3 hours ago, Anon3222 said:

Sounds like waitlist movement is going to be minimal moving forward. Is anybody interested in making a prep group for next years application cycle? We could all do some interview prep together. 

Yes, I was hoping to start an interview group with some other applicants who were waitlisted this year! I would be interested in joining a group.