Premed 101 Forums

Waitlist Party 2020/2021

Number of waitlisted applicants  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Are you waitlisted?

• Yes
    • No

12 hours ago, ma17 said:

Declined OOP offer at VFMP earlier today. Congrats to whoever gets it!

I always find it interesting (and try to deduce how it could work) that waitlist offers go out for VFMP, when people who have also accepted their 2nd/3rd site preference are also waiting for VFMP spots too.... I thought they would also offer these spots first to current accepted applicants who are waiting for a preferred site before offering to folks on the waitlist, but no idea!

Maybe there’s a different option for OOP applicants who might not want SMP if it’s not a preferred site, but would accept a VFMP spot... or if it’s a 1-for-1 offer that if someone turns down a VFMP spot on the waitlist, it goes out the next round still as a VFMP spot. 

thoughts?

4 minutes ago, PlantZaddy said:

I always find it interesting (and try to deduce how it could work) that waitlist offers go out for VFMP, when people who have also accepted their 2nd/3rd site preference are also waiting for VFMP spots too.... I thought they would also offer these spots first to current accepted applicants who are waiting for a preferred site before offering to folks on the waitlist, but no idea!

Maybe there’s a different option for OOP applicants who might not want SMP if it’s not a preferred site, but would accept a VFMP spot... or if it’s a 1-for-1 offer that if someone turns down a VFMP spot on the waitlist, it goes out the next round still as a VFMP spot. 

thoughts?

I was thinking about this too. I think that OOP applicants could actually be higher on the waitlist than some IP applicants who have already accepted their 2nd/3rd preference site. The this spot that was declined yesterday might now be offered to someone who has already accepted for another site but remains on the waitlist for VFMP

On 6/4/2021 at 9:31 AM, Cannot_hurt said:

I was thinking about this too. I think that OOP applicants could actually be higher on the waitlist than some IP applicants who have already accepted their 2nd/3rd preference site. The this spot that was declined yesterday might now be offered to someone who has already accepted for another site but remains on the waitlist for VFMP

Yes exactly, because there is a cap on the OOP seats, UBC would have “skipped” some OOP applicants who are ranked highly but could not be offered seats in the first round of offers. Once OOP people declined their VFMP seats, this would open that seat up to whoever is most highly ranked, which could be a waitlisted OOP applicant rather than an applicant who has been accepted to their second or third choice sites.

There are also people who may not have ranked all the sites (indicating that they would not attend one of the sites even if it was offered to them), so it’s also possible that an IP or OOP applicant like that has a higher ranking than someone who has already been accepted to their second or third choice site, so it would be offered to the waitlisted applicant first.  

Add the rural and non-rural seats into the mix, and I think it becomes more clear why UBC can’t really tell us where we are on the list. 

I got an offer to my first choice off the waitlist today. Mature OOP VFMP. The only school that gave me an interview among 7 and the only offer I got.

Really feel for those who are waiting. Just know that if you made it this far you are already qualified for the program so stay positive and keep on pushing. 

hey everyone!! been on this forum for a while.  I've seen in previous years from other schools that the "seconds" timestamp on the waitlist email could coordinate to ranking and I am wondering if this is true?  I was wondering if people who have received an offer off the waitlist this year could share their "seconds" timestamp?  Might not work, but would be interesting to see regardless :) Thanks so much everyone, hope you are all doing well during this waiting process :) 

37 minutes ago, Milk and Cookies said:

hey everyone!! been on this forum for a while.  I've seen in previous years from other schools that the "seconds" timestamp on the waitlist email could coordinate to ranking and I am wondering if this is true?  I was wondering if people who have received an offer off the waitlist this year could share their "seconds" timestamp?  Might not work, but would be interesting to see regardless :) Thanks so much everyone, hope you are all doing well during this waiting process :)

mine is 26

3 hours ago, Milk and Cookies said:

5 minutes ago, Goodlucktous said:

Ok! Are you still on wait-list or have you received an offer? Just trying to make sense of all this lol

Sorry, yes I am still on waitlist!

Just a quick question for everyone. I was trying to look at my last years application stats(I was waitlisted last year too), but I cant seem to find the show last application button on OAS. I know it used to be on the home tab, but it seems to have disappeared. Just wondering if everyone who has applied previously is also experiencing this? 

50 minutes ago, JustSayian26 said:

Just a quick question for everyone. I was trying to look at my last years application stats(I was waitlisted last year too), but I cant seem to find the show last application button on OAS. I know it used to be on the home tab, but it seems to have disappeared. Just wondering if everyone who has applied previously is also experiencing this? 

My previous application has disappeared too

My time stamp was 37 seconds and my last name starts with R. I am still on the waitlist (IP, non-rural).

I looked at last year's waitlist thread since a similar conversation happened about last names and waitlist timestamps. Based on the timestamps waitlisters provided, it appears they felt that earlier time stamps may not have meaningfully correlated with odds of receiving an offer. Then again, this is assuming the admissions team is using the same system to notify applicants as last year and we need a lot more time stamps to predict any patterns, particularly from people who recently received invites over the past few rounds!

On 6/7/2021 at 3:33 PM, neurophile said:

Accepted off waitlist!!! VFMP first choice OOP

I will update with stats when I have processed!!!

Congrats my friend. can you please share your stats and also what was your seconds timestamp on the waitlist?... just trying to make some sense.. there might not be based on the seconds but still wanting to know if you don't mind.