Premed 101 Forums

Living Accommodations for Calgary!

Hi , I was wondering if any Calgary medical students could give advice for ON Campus (Crowsnest Hall) VS OFF campus accommodations Near the Foothills Hospital or near enough lol. 

Which made more sense for you and why? 

Have a car and thought getting near campus would be the better financial decision in terms of gas. Wondering if anyone has advice thanks ! 

A lot of students live near campus. It's honestly so gosh-darn convenient when you can just walk 10mins to your 8:30 small groups or physical exam sessions rather than waking up early to commute. Living farther away and driving is another option, but while its convenient, parking is fairly expensive (and there's also a waitlist it's difficult to get a spot right away in your 1st year). 

I imagine that for the incoming class many things will be in-person in July and by September (barring some vaccine-resistant variant outbreak) you'll be back to full in-person. So, it would be worthwhile to get a place nearby. One downside is that the options aren't always great since many of the apartment buildings are old. Parkdale has some really nice houses right on the bow river that you can rent (if you get 3 roommates they would probably be affordable) but this is a longer walk (~20mins).

In terms of on-campus vs. off-campus housing... no one I know in med actually lives in university accomodations... rent prices in Calgary aren't crazy like Toronto/Vanc so everyone gets a place off campus that's still relatively close to FMC. Also as someone mentioned, Crowsnest hall is pretty far from FMC, and as a med student you'd pretty much never go to main campus as all your classes/clinical skills/small groups are at Foothills. Feel free to message me with any questions!