Premed 101 Forums

Average admitted MCAT score?!

This is my OWN personal viewpoint, but I feel like if you are not an applicant being considered under the rural or Indigenous stream, having an MCAT score below 515 may be considered a big disadvantage. I'm not saying that those who were accepted under the rural or Indigenous streams have lower MCAT scores (because I'm sure some or most of them have 515+ MCAT scores), but I feel like regular applicants may need to obtain higher MCAT scores. Some regular applicants may get in with an MCAT score between 508-513, but they need to have a HIGH GPA and above average interview to get in. 

I, too got rejected this cycle with an average interview, 75-100th NAQ & ~88% average. My MCAT on the other hand is only 512. 

It’s definitely possible to get in with a lower MCAT score and lower GPA. Had a friend get in a few years ago with an MCAT score below 508 and gpa below 85%. She had stellar ECs and, I assume, an above average interview though. She was a first time applicant and got her first choice campus. So it’s definitely possible! 

8 hours ago, Fingerscrossed17 said:

It’s definitely possible to get in with a lower MCAT score and lower GPA. Had a friend get in a few years ago with an MCAT score below 508 and gpa below 85%. She had stellar ECs and, I assume, an above average interview though. She was a first time applicant and got her first choice campus. So it’s definitely possible! 

Previous years it was for sure common to get accepted with a lower MCAT score such as <510, but now it seems that the scores have become so much more competitive. I haven’t seen anyone say that they were accepted with an MCAT score below 510 other than the one person in this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Personally, I had an 84.8% OGPA (86% AGPA) and 514 MCAT score (126 CARS) and still managed to get into first-choice VFMP second try (received regrets pre-interview first try). Feel free to take a look at my stats in the accept/waitlist/reject page.

Last summer, I was tempted to also retake my MCAT since I wanted to bolster my chances after an interview. But I was told that having a strong interview score can really overcome any MCAT score, so I decided to save my $300 and focus my time on improving my non-academic descriptions to secure an interview in the first place. Really glad I ended up making that decision ^_^

Overall, I feel like MCAT doesn't matter if you are confident in your interviewing skills. If you worry that your interview score will be below average, then sure, you could consider retaking the MCAT for a higher score. However, I don't think UBC is like some of the Ontario schools where they care specifically about CARS scores or about having a high MCAT score. You just have to have above 124 for each section and you'll meet UBC's requirements. Holistically, I think any score above 510 is great and something I wouldn't recommend you worry about. Good luck friends! ❤️