Premed 101 Forums

Matching via Second Round CaRMs

I applied in the second round of CaRMs to try and transfer out of my current program. If I get accepted (match) to a spot, what do I need to do? Will my program release me? I haven't told my PD yet as I don't think they would be happy.

If anyone has experience with this, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

4 hours ago, anonMD2020 said:

I applied in the second round of CaRMs to try and transfer out of my current program. If I get accepted (match) to a spot, what do I need to do? Will my program release me? I haven't told my PD yet as I don't think they would be happy.

I'm surprised you're getting interviews without a letter from your current PD, I was under the impression they were basically required. If you match you resign from your current program, start at new program. What your PD thinks will depend on how tight your program is for service coverage, and if now they will be overstretched for call (but that's on them and not you).

22 hours ago, anonMD2020 said:

Same situation but my PD is aware. I didn't use them as a reference as I hadn't worked with them that long as compared to other staff. Be very careful with how you conduct yourself, it became open I was trying to transfer due to a conversation regarding call coverage and interview times last year with another resident. That getting out, in as many words, was not good for me. 

Fingers crossed we both get good news on the 20th!

22 hours ago, bearded frog said:

I'm surprised you're getting interviews without a letter from your current PD, I was under the impression they were basically required. If you match you resign from your current program, start at new program. What your PD thinks will depend on how tight your program is for service coverage, and if now they will be overstretched for call (but that's on them and not you).

I see - thank you for clarifying! So from what you are saying it sounds like I will not need a release/approval letter. And nope, I didn't use a letter from my current PD. I just used references I had from last year as a med student. 

3 hours ago, GolfTangoFoxtrotOscar said:

Same situation but my PD is aware. I didn't use them as a reference as I hadn't worked with them that long as compared to other staff. Be very careful with how you conduct yourself, it became open I was trying to transfer due to a conversation regarding call coverage and interview times last year with another resident. That getting out, in as many words, was not good for me. 

Fingers crossed we both get good news on the 20th!

I'm sorry to hear. I have heard mixed things regarding letting your program know, some say their PD is supportive but often not.  I just hope if I find out I match somewhere on the 20th that my program will not try to find a way to prevent the transfer. Wishing you best of luck as well! 

• 1 year later...