Premed 101 Forums

Question for current students: how do most students choose to house during medical school?

Finding a roommate seems like a daunting task, and the costs of getting a bad roommate are huge. I was wondering if many students choose to live on their own? Would you recommend someone live with a roommate or on their own?

Thanks

I'm going to contribute the other perspective here! I went from living with three other people in undergrad (which I loved!) to living alone in med school (which I also love!). I decided to live alone because it's really important for me to have a quiet space to study/unwind in - this is easy when you're roomies are all on different schedules than you, but not so much in med school when you're all on pretty much the same schedule and therefore spending a lot more time together. 

I think either option can be great but consider whether the potential pros of having a roommate (decreased rent costs, somebody to hang out with/study with etc) outweigh the potential cons (messy, on a different sleep schedule than you and loud when you're sleeping, more/less stressed out about school than you which can make studying difficult etc). For me the possible cons would've made the already stressful experience of med school even more difficult to cope with, and it was worth the financial investment. But you may be different!

Also want to say that I'm in second year so I was fortunate enough to meet my classmates in person and make friends before the pandemic hit, and I still have very close friends from class despite living alone. I'll definitely acknowledge that it was trickier for students living alone this year to make those connections. We're still not sure what preclerkship will look like going into the next academic year, so this could possibly play a role in your decision as well. 

Good luck & welcome to the Schulich fam!  

I know a lot of residents and students live on their own around Masonville, the Jacksway apartments. I heard those are pretty nice, and close to amenities, and a lot of your classmates will live in the same vicinity. I also know some people got together 3-4 friends and rented house in that area or near Ambleside. Both are pretty decent places that you can walk to school/UH. I'd avoid the Broughdale area, the delinquents trash that neighborhood multiple times a year.

• 2 months later...