Premed 101 Forums

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2021 at 8:55 PM, shad892 said:

Hey did you have to pay for parking at the clinicals/hospitals. Thanks!

Sorry for the late reply. For hospitals yes you have to pay for parking. There are some side streets that you can park for free but they are quite far and you have to move your car after every 3 hours which isn't worth the hassle during placements. Clinics, it depends on their location.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/17/2021 at 12:19 PM, myohmy said:

Hi, I'm a second year student at uOttawa in OT and was wondering why don't more people apply to uOttawa since it's way less competitive than other Ontario schools. How big of a barrier is French to most applicants? Personally, as an anglophone who's only taken a few years of French immersion, I've been able to manage just fine.

I'm curious to hear what you guys think

I think this is a really interesting discussion and a very unique one too!

I’m an anglophone who’s lived in Ottawa forever, did my uOttawa kin degree, high school, and most of elementary school in French Immersion, and have a wide variety of clinical experience in French as a PTA or R.Kin, and I’ve loved it! I hope to always have some French clients during my career.

Yet, I’m not reapplying to uOttawa PT. My grades are now high enough that I should be able to get into at least one English program. I know many current students or new grads, and the program’s hard enough in English. If I can save time and energy not ever Googling translations here and there or being worried about my pronunciation during an OSCE, I will. I also want to be able to really gel with my classmates, and I found it hard in undergrad to be my full self speaking French with francophone classmates.

I was actually still on the fence until about a month ago, cause I ultimately want to settle down in Ottawa, and doing PT in French would obviously improve my vocabulary a lot. But then I realized that I don’t use that much kin/PT jargon with clients in English, so why would I in French?! So I think I’ll be fine learning translations as needed, rather than all at once, especially if I might not even use them.

Finally...uOttawa PT hasn’t always had the best reputation (I think mainly due to the recent probation, but also from word getting around from current/former students), so I think that’s another factor for anglophone uOttawa kin grads not sticking around for PT :/

Personally I really wanted to go to McGill PT to be in a bilingual city with bilingual placements but an English program, but it won’t happen because they don’t look at upgrading courses! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯