Premed 101 Forums

Advice on retaking MCAT

Hey guys, just thought I'd post this here to seek some advice on if its worth rewriting the MCAT. I have an agpa of 90.4% and 513 MCAT (125 CARS) and am specifically hoping to apply to UBC this upcoming cycle.

In this situation would it be worthwhile to retake to try to improve that score even if it is an improvement by only a few points? I have consistently scored between 514-517 in all the practice exams I took. Any advice would be super helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

A 513 isn't a low MCAT score! Echoing what the others have said, people have definitely gotten in with lower MCAT scores. Personally, I had an 84.8% OGPA (86% AGPA) and 514 MCAT score (126 CARS) and still managed to get into VFMP second try (received regrets pre-interview first try).

Last summer, I was tempted to also retake my MCAT since I wanted to bolster my chances after an interview. But I was told that having a strong interview score can really overcome any MCAT score, so I decided to save my $300 and focus my time on improving my non-academic descriptions to secure an interview in the first place. Really glad I ended up making that decision ^_^

Overall, it's your choice. If you worry that your interview score will be below average, then sure, you could consider retaking the MCAT. However, I don't think UBC is like some of the Ontario schools where they care specifically about CARS. You just have to have above 124 for each section and you'll meet UBC's requirements. Holistically, a 513 is great and something I wouldn't recommend you worry about. Good luck my friend! ❤️

• 3 months later...