Premed 101 Forums

I'm curious about EC activities that are personal endeavours and that lean more towards hobbies and how to choose verifiers for them. Like for myself, I've been a professional freelance artist for quite a few years but I have no idea what verifier to pick since I do all my work by myself and I don't think my clients would be suitable verifiers. I know they mentioned in the help guide that family members and friends are alright in very specify circumstances but I'm still not sure. 

19 minutes ago, Blank7 said:

I'm curious about EC activities that are personal endeavours and that lean more towards hobbies and how to choose verifiers for them. Like for myself, I've been a professional freelance artist for quite a few years but I have no idea what verifier to pick since I do all my work by myself and I don't think my clients would be suitable verifiers. I know they mentioned in the help guide that family members and friends are alright in very specify circumstances but I'm still not sure. 

Yes, for things that are personal hobbies it is fine to have family and friends. Mostly this will be the diversity of experience section, but if you were self employed or employed in a family business then it might make sense to have a friend or family verify that as well. I had several friends, as well as my parent and my spouse listed for things and it was fine. 

7 minutes ago, frenchpress said:

Yes, for things that are personal hobbies it is fine to have family and friends. Mostly this will be the diversity of experience section, but if you were self employed or employed in a family business then it might make sense to have a friend or family verify that as well. I had several friends, as well as my parent and my spouse listed for things and it was fine. 

Thank you sm!! I appreciate your reply

• 2 weeks later...

I only used family or friends if a more "professional" verifier was unavailable. For example, for an intramural team my friends and I put together, I picked one of my friends who helped me administrate the team logistics. For gym workouts, I chose a friend who I've gone to the gym with before and knows that I work out. However, for a recreational league I was a part of, I contacted the league manager to verify the hours since they seemed like the more "professional" choice and were able to verify. Regardless of friend or supervisor, I always made sure to have some sort of title for them (i.e. Gym Partner) to clarify their involvement in my activity. Hope that helps!

20 minutes ago, plsdontletthisbeawaste said:

I only used family or friends if a more "professional" verifier was unavailable. For example, for an intramural team my friends and I put together, I picked one of my friends who helped me administrate the team logistics. For gym workouts, I chose a friend who I've gone to the gym with before and knows that I work out. However, for a recreational league I was a part of, I contacted the league manager to verify the hours since they seemed like the more "professional" choice and were able to verify. Regardless of friend or supervisor, I always made sure to have some sort of title for them (i.e. Gym Partner) to clarify their involvement in my activity. Hope that helps!

This is a very good point, and I should have included in my original response that I did something similar and recommend doing the same.

On the extreme end, I included dnd as one of my activities and listed my friend by their very professional title of ‘dungeon master’ :D

3 minutes ago, frenchpress said:

This is a very good point, and I should have included in my original response that I did something similar and recommend doing the same.

On the extreme end, I included dnd as one of my activities and listed my friend by their very professional title of ‘dungeon master’ :D

Hahahaha I love this! I mean why not include DnD, it is your lived experiences that make you YOU so I fully support this. :D I'm sure the people reviewing your application also enjoyed it, must have been refreshing to see.

4 minutes ago, plsdontletthisbeawaste said:

Hahahaha I love this! I mean why not include DnD, it is your lived experiences that make you YOU so I fully support this. :D I'm sure the people reviewing your application also enjoyed it, must have been refreshing to see.

The diversity of experience section is what you make of it. I think there’s some really good opportunities to stand out there - who knows what effect it has in the grand scheme of scoring, but I think it honestly can’t hurt to throw in that sort of personal stuff!