Premed 101 Forums

Usask site appeal process

Does anyone know anything about the process of appeal for site selection? I know it happens during first year but what are the chances of actually being able to switch sites? Was accepted to Regina but I was really hoping for Saskatoon and it would be really challenging to move

Thanks!

41 minutes ago, corvus said:

Does anyone know anything about the process of appeal for site selection? I know it happens during first year but what are the chances of actually being able to switch sites? Was accepted to Regina but I was really hoping for Saskatoon and it would be really challenging to move

Thanks!

What exactly is your issue? If it's not highly extenuating then nothing they can do. Is just the move challenging? Their policy is outlined in the document I linked below. I quoted the important bit

From the document Linked below:

"Medical students are expected to complete their pre-clerkship at the geographically distributed site to which they are assigned. However, medical students are provided the opportunity to appeal during their first year of undergraduate studies and can request relocation at a later date. Such requests will only be considered based on highly extenuating medical or compassionate (new, serious, unanticipated, or unavoidable) circumstances.To appeal a site assignment during the first-year of undergraduate studies or to request a site relocation, medical students should first seek the assistance of the Office of Student Affairs to explore all available options in managing their situation. Where the situation cannot be managed,the Site Assignment Appeal Committee (SAAC) will be convened at the request of Student Affairs. This committee is the final level of appeal within the College of Medicine."

https://medicine.usask.ca/documents/policies/ugme/SiteRotationAssignmentPolicy.pdf

The issue is that it would be financially difficult to pay my mortgage in Saskatoon and rent in Regina while training, but they probably wouldn’t consider that to be highly extenuating circumstances for an appeal...

Thanks anyway for the info!

59 minutes ago, corvus said:

The issue is that it would be financially difficult to pay my mortgage in Saskatoon and rent in Regina while training, but they probably wouldn’t consider that to be highly extenuating circumstances for an appeal...

I doubt they'll consider that highly extenuating. But you might as well try. Expect to be shot down pretty quickly though. They'll point you across the street to RBC and tell you that you can borrow 350K from them tomorrow. That's even before taking into account the median physician salary in SK (numbers below are before taking account overhead).

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwj0va_e1dbwAhUVr54KHQ5gC14QFjALegQIBBAD&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.saskdocs.ca%2Fweb_files%2Ftrends&usg=AOvVaw120s9p6Wdl5Vj-2JoLuasP

On 5/19/2021 at 2:33 PM, corvus said:

I have also heard that if you can find someone who wants to switch from Saskatoon to Regina (yes that does happen) you can coordinate the switch with them. Appeals usually occur in Jan of a given year and you can also approach the student affairs for help and support during the appeal! They are often empathetic towards situations like yours.

On 5/24/2021 at 12:30 PM, wannabdoctor said:

I have also heard that if you can find someone who wants to switch from Saskatoon to Regina (yes that does happen) you can coordinate the switch with them. Appeals usually occur in Jan of a given year and you can also approach the student affairs for help and support during the appeal! They are often empathetic towards situations like yours.

This is not true. You can put your name forward for a voluntary site switch, but the College ultimately decides and it is mostly based on rank within the class. The site appeal is a separate process that occurs after, and it requires "new" and extenuating circumstances. I did all of these things and was not successful. I think Regina will be fine.