Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone, I was wondering if one of you knew how McGill’s GPA is converted on 4.3 for francophone universities? Indeed, I am thinking to go to Mcgill in Nutrition in to order to apply later on in Medecine at University of Montreal. However, I am afraid that I would be penalized compared to the student with a GPA on 4.3... Thank you for the help in advance :).

Link to post
Share on other sites

so theres a lot of bs about that I emailed them yesterday and they just pasted something from their website:  Préalablement au calcul du score Z universitaire, pour les études faites au Québec ailleurs qu’à l’Université de Montréal, s’il y a lieu, les moyennes cumulatives sont d’abord converties à l’échelle de l’Université de Montréal (échelle sur 4,3), afin de rendre toutes les moyennes rigoureusement comparables." Comprendre l'évaluation des dossiers.

Idk if by ''moyennes cumulatives" they mean the % grade of each course. What I also dont know is that how they convert % grade to 4.3 gpa cs when I checked udem uses word grades like ''excellent'' BUT, they said that HEC uses % grades and to convert from HEC to Udem you give courses that have 90%+ a 4,3/4,3. I assume this is how it's done. 

Afterwards, they convert the 4.3 gpa to a CRU using a bs calculation with class avgs and stanrd devs like cegep. They boosts udem students and boost competitive programs (be sure that the university you are attending AND udem have that program). 

Idk how competitive nutrition is in mcgill if udem does not consider it competitive, your CRU wont be so great even if your GPA is high compared to another program. 

I would love if an expert could confirm this cs actually, I have a 89% in one course at McGill rn and they miscorrected my final exam which could get me the extra 1% and secure the A+ at udem but Idk if that's how they convert it or na. LOL I am so lazy to contact the TAs to correct that if it wont change my gpa cs in McGIll 89 or 90 are A so its not even worth changing it if it wont affect my UdeM GPA.

Arigato. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 99999 said:

so theres a lot of bs about that I emailed them yesterday and they just pasted something from their website:  Préalablement au calcul du score Z universitaire, pour les études faites au Québec ailleurs qu’à l’Université de Montréal, s’il y a lieu, les moyennes cumulatives sont d’abord converties à l’échelle de l’Université de Montréal (échelle sur 4,3), afin de rendre toutes les moyennes rigoureusement comparables." Comprendre l'évaluation des dossiers.

Idk if by ''moyennes cumulatives" they mean the % grade of each course. What I also dont know is that how they convert % grade to 4.3 gpa cs when I checked udem uses word grades like ''excellent'' BUT, they said that HEC uses % grades and to convert from HEC to Udem you give courses that have 90%+ a 4,3/4,3. I assume this is how it's done. 

Afterwards, they convert the 4.3 gpa to a CRU using a bs calculation with class avgs and stanrd devs like cegep. They boosts udem students and boost competitive programs (be sure that the university you are attending AND udem have that program). 

Idk how competitive nutrition is in mcgill if udem does not consider it competitive, your CRU wont be so great even if your GPA is high compared to another program. 

I would love if an expert could confirm this cs actually, I have a 89% in one course at McGill rn and they miscorrected my final exam which could get me the extra 1% and secure the A+ at udem but Idk if that's how they convert it or na. LOL I am so lazy to contact the TAs to correct that if it wont change my gpa cs in McGIll 89 or 90 are A so its not even worth changing it if it wont affect my UdeM GPA.

Arigato. 

How is nutrition not competitive in udem?

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a well-known question that a lot of McGill students have been asking when they are applying into med in any of the french unis (myself included). Here's some of my stats to gauge:

So I got 3.8/4 in occupational therapy at McGill, and ULaval gave me a CRU of 33,34. According to the étalon of ULaval, that would place me around 3.9/4.3. As for Sherb, they gave a 36.7, no idea if they converted it, but considering it's pretty high, seems like they did.

I got into med udem in the first wave (so I don't know my CRU), and since I placed really far on the waitlist of Ulaval (in the 160s), my CASPer wasn't what saved me, it was my GPA. So it's safe to assume that UdeM converts your the 4.0 McGill gpa, how do they do it ... idk. But it seems that it is fair enough. Someone said that they went to the open house at UdeM and was told that a 3.7/4 would be around 3.9-4.0/4.33 at UdeM (don't know how reliable this is)

As for nutrition at McGill, I am honestly not sure, but it should be similar to ergo, although confirm it with others to be sure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/19/2021 at 5:18 PM, CATOBLEPASS said:

How is nutrition not competitive in udem?

mcgill has 2 programs: nutrition and dietetics

dietetics is more similar to UdeM's nutrition program... they both give you the title of nutritionist whereas the nutrition program in McGill doesn't.  

If I were to guess I don't think you can compare nutrition McGill to nutrition UdeM.  probably dietetics McGill and nutrition UdeM are more comparable.

hope that helps.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Amarillo said:

mcgill has 2 programs: nutrition and dietetics

dietetics is more similar to UdeM's nutrition program... they both give you the title of nutritionist whereas the nutrition program in McGill doesn't.  

If I were to guess I don't think you can compare nutrition McGill to nutrition UdeM.  probably dietetics McGill and nutrition UdeM are more comparable.

hope that helps.

Can we switch from nutrition to dietetics eventually? Or like do another 1/2 year tk get the nutritionist title?

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CATOBLEPASS said:

Can we switch from nutrition to dietetics eventually

Yes, as a nutrition student you could apply to transfer to the dietetics program with high enough grades (and possibly a letter of motivation but I'm not sure about that).

5 hours ago, CATOBLEPASS said:

Or like do another 1/2 year tk get the nutritionist title?

Although, the nutrition and Dietetics programs both study the field nutrition, you MUST do the 3.5 year dietetics degree (which includes stages and other dietetics-specific courses) to get the nutritionist title.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...