Premed 101 Forums

Western (unspecified) vs. Mac

I have had some trouble deciding where to accept my offer. I am interested in staying close to home, so London and Hamilton are both ideal locations for me. However, I have heard about several of the disadvantages of attending a 3-year program, like not getting enough time to explore clinical opportunities, especially during COVID. This makes me lean towards Western, but the unspecified campus and the chance of being placed in Windsor is less than ideal for me. I know unspecified first-round offers are typically placed in their first choice, however I found a thread last year where at least 3 first-round offer students ended up being placed in Windsor. Is it worth the risk to accept Western over Mac?

I know this isn't the response you're looking for but since there is the chance you'll end up in Windsor I'd be happy to answer any questions about our campus you may have if that would make your decision at all easier.

Best of luck and congrats on your acceptances!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2021 at 5:51 PM, sadboy123 said:

I have had some trouble deciding where to accept my offer. I am interested in staying close to home, so London and Hamilton are both ideal locations for me. However, I have heard about several of the disadvantages of attending a 3-year program, like not getting enough time to explore clinical opportunities, especially during COVID. This makes me lean towards Western, but the unspecified campus and the chance of being placed in Windsor is less than ideal for me. I know unspecified first-round offers are typically placed in their first choice, however I found a thread last year where at least 3 first-round offer students ended up being placed in Windsor. Is it worth the risk to accept Western over Mac?

If you choose Mac, just be prepared to be very focused and diligent about your medical schooling. There isn't as much time for exploring as in other schools. People from Mac do match to top specialties, top locations and both, but they are often focused and very keen people. Mac definitely gives you the opportunities but you have to be very self motivated and take them.