Premed 101 Forums

Q&A Panel for UBC Prospective Applicants

Hey everyone!

Firstly, huge and sincere congratulations to all who received an offer this year to join the UBC Class of 2025! I am personally very excited to welcome you to the UBC med family and meet you soon :)

However, this time of year is very bittersweet, as the majority of people unfortunately do not receive the news they were hoping for. Being there many times in the past within my own journey, I can understand how discouraging and devastating this feels. Were it not for the tremendous amount of support I received along the way, I simply wouldn't be here in my position today.

As a way to try to give back and pass on this support, myself and a few dear friends within the Class of 2023 and Class of 2024 have considered holding a panel dedicated to UBC pre-meds who would like to connect and have some of their questions answered.  This session is coming straight from our hearts and is an honest attempt to help anyone thinking of pursuing medicine.  There would be absolutely no monetary/financial gain for the panelists, nor any non-financial gains.  As stated, the only motivation is to help.  The panel would be around 1-1.5 hours in length over Zoom dedicated to answering questions regarding MCAT prep, general application advice, the panelists' perspectives on medicine as a career, what comes after receiving an offer (i.e. what's next), and more based on our personal experiences.

Please note the following disclaimers:

1.  The panelists will not discuss in-depth application advice/tips that may place attendees at a significant advantage.

2. The panelists will not discuss interview advice/tips/content that may inadvertently break the non-disclosure agreement.

3. None of the panelists are associated with the Medical Education Committee nor the MD Admissions Subcommittee, specifically.

4. The panelists are neither experts nor claim to be experts; whatever will be shared is based on personal perspectives and experiences only.

With this in mind, we'd love to see how many people are interested in a potential panel as described above!  Please feel free to either like this post or comment if you're interested :)

If there is enough interest, we'd be more than happy to plan the details soon and share them here!

Alright, the event is set and ready to go!  The panelists including myself are really excited to see you :)  Please find the details below:

The panel will be a total of 1.5 hours.

Date and time:  Wednesday, June 2nd @ 5:00 PM, Vancouver Time

Register here:  http://bit.ly/ubcmed-panel

As soon as you register, you will automatically receive an email with the link, meeting ID, and passcode to the event.

Please feel free to share the registration link with anyone you know who may be interested in such a panel and may find it useful!  This is definitely not a formal event, so don't stress about preparing anything official.  All you need to bring is your wonderful self + questions :)

If you have any questions about the event itself, please feel free to PM me.  Also, we are planning to create a Facebook event for this in order to reach out to more pre-meds, so you can also look forward to that as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Exciting news -- we are back!  On behalf of some of my colleagues in the Class of 2023 and 2024, we're happy to announce that we've organized a Part 2 to this Q&A panel.  We received great feedback for the last session and numerous requests to host another one, so here we are.  The panel will be held on this coming Sunday, August 8th, at 5:30 PM Pacific and will be very similar to the previous.  This is our honest attempt at passing forward the support each of us received during our application journeys.  Please feel free to share with and invite anyone you know who is applying to medicine or thinking about doing so in the future.  If you have any questions about the event, please feel free to comment below or PM me.  The details are below:

Link to Facebook event:  https://www.facebook.com/events/286716639880698/

Direct link to Zoom registration page:  https://bit.ly/ubcmed-panel2

225714290_10165719197845247_231712275526

Final reminder about this panel happening tomorrow!  Please note that this session will not be recorded.

On 8/2/2021 at 2:39 PM, Neurophiliac said:

Exciting news -- we are back!  On behalf of some of my colleagues in the Class of 2023 and 2024, we're happy to announce that we've organized a Part 2 to this Q&A panel.  We received great feedback for the last session and numerous requests to host another one, so here we are.  The panel will be held on this coming Sunday, August 8th, at 5:30 PM Pacific and will be very similar to the previous.  This is our honest attempt at passing forward the support each of us received during our application journeys.  Please feel free to share with and invite anyone you know who is applying to medicine or thinking about doing so in the future.  If you have any questions about the event, please feel free to comment below or PM me.  The details are below:

Link to Facebook event:  https://www.facebook.com/events/286716639880698/

Direct link to Zoom registration page:  https://bit.ly/ubcmed-panel2

225714290_10165719197845247_231712275526