Premed 101 Forums

Hey everyone! Just confirming a question I have about the MCAT and applying. This is going to be my first cycle i'll be applying. I have my MCAT scheduled for August 27th. I see that applications open in the beginning of August. Can I apply at the beginning of August as long as I select that my score be released during the time period USask requests? Or, do I apply after I've written my MCAT (after August 27th)?

Thank you all in advance!

I’m sure the answer to that question is somewhere on the application document, but its worth understanding that they don’t do rolling admissions at usask med, so there’s no harm in applying in September. Just make sure to release/re-release your mcat score in the specified time period in October through the AAMC website.

Good luck on your mcat!

37 minutes ago, BarbellsAndBicarb said:

Hey everyone! Just confirming a question I have about the MCAT and applying. This is going to be my first cycle i'll be applying. I have my MCAT scheduled for August 27th. I see that applications open in the beginning of August. Can I apply at the beginning of August as long as I select that my score be released during the time period USask requests? Or, do I apply after I've written my MCAT (after August 27th)?

Thank you all in advance!

You can submit your application whenever you want(before the deadline anyways) as long as you have an AAMC ID.  USask uses that to get your MCAT score from the AAMC  in late October or early November. You get an AAMC ID when you register for the MCAT, and it is all you need for your Usask application. So as long as you have that, it doesn't matter if you've taken the MCAT or not.

Also USask's application takes under an hour to fill out so there's no need to start in early August. There's no advantage either to sending in your application in early in August, before you've taken the MCAT. This isn't the US where rolling admissions gives early applicants an advantage. I would recommend submitting in late September(20th or so) just in case you want to update or change a reference.

Additionally, I would recommend that you read USask's admission manual and their FAQ document in their entirety to fully understand their admissions process. They are extremely helpful and transparent in their documents. The ones that I linked are for the 2020-21 cycle. They will update them in July for the upcoming cycle but I don't foresee many changes other than the removal of the 5 time limit in applying.

https://medicine.usask.ca/documents/ugme/admission/FAQs.pdf

https://medicine.usask.ca/documents/ugme/admission/saskatchewan-resident-applicant-information.pdf

On 5/22/2021 at 4:00 PM, zoxy said:

You can submit your application whenever you want(before the deadline anyways) as long as you have an AAMC ID.  USask uses that to get your MCAT score from the AAMC  in late October or early November. You get an AAMC ID when you register for the MCAT, and it is all you need for your Usask application. So as long as you have that, it doesn't matter if you've taken the MCAT or not.

Also USask's application takes under an hour to fill out so there's no need to start in early August. There's no advantage either to sending in your application in early in August, before you've taken the MCAT. This isn't the US where rolling admissions gives early applicants an advantage. I would recommend submitting in late September(20th or so) just in case you want to update or change a reference.

Additionally, I would recommend that you read USask's admission manual and their FAQ document in their entirety to fully understand their admissions process. They are extremely helpful and transparent in their documents. The ones that I linked are for the 2020-21 cycle. They will update them in July for the upcoming cycle but I don't foresee many changes other than the removal of the 5 time limit in applying.

https://medicine.usask.ca/documents/ugme/admission/FAQs.pdf

https://medicine.usask.ca/documents/ugme/admission/saskatchewan-resident-applicant-information.pdf

Greatly appreciated! Thank you!

On 5/22/2021 at 3:59 PM, Cosmo Pyke said:

I’m sure the answer to that question is somewhere on the application document, but its worth understanding that they don’t do rolling admissions at usask med, so there’s no harm in applying in September. Just make sure to release/re-release your mcat score in the specified time period in October through the AAMC website.

Good luck on your mcat!

Thank you very much!