Premed 101 Forums

Tulane medical school chances

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knew if it's worth it to apply to Tulane with a 

3.72 and 508 MCAT
3.92 last two years 
I have lots of ECs  
I know those are low haha but just wondering. 
I'll be redoing my MCAT this summer but i think for tulane they'll use this 508, right?

Thanks (I know you guys get lots of these kinda posts so I appreciate everyone reading this haha)

10 hours ago, drhopeful111111 said:

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knew if it's worth it to apply to Tulane with a 

3.72 and 508 MCAT
3.92 last two years 
I have lots of ECs  
I know those are low haha but just wondering. 
I'll be redoing my MCAT this summer but i think for tulane they'll use this 508, right?

Thanks (I know you guys get lots of these kinda posts so I appreciate everyone reading this haha)

Very few people here are going to be familiar with stats of a specific American school. Check out the MSAR, or ask in the Tulane thread on studentdoctor.

• 1 month later...

I know you only got a few responses so I figured I would add to this. Tulane is a very holistic program that is mission orientated. Meaning they are community focused and big on EC's assuming your EC's aren't just your standard "worked at the hospital gift shop". They like advocacy. Keep in mind where these schools are. This school is in New Orleans which was devastated by Katrina earlier in the 2000's. That means community is everything. They have a large black population so obviously being URM is a bonus and helps, but not a requirement. Having real advocacy that has impact on communities that may represent that school would be a bonus. They do not have any particular pre reqs interestingly enough based on the email they sent me. They also focus a lot on trend. So GPA is always going to be important and good to have but the way you look at US schools for most Canadian applicants has to go beyond focusing on your GPA. You need to shift towards your PS and EC's and making sure you are placing special emphasis on those things. Applying early to Tulane is key. By October +70% of their class has been picked according to them.

I have seen Canadians make a few mistakes which includes, discounting your descriptions, not being aware of the schools mission and goals, ignoring the importance of the personal statement, and timing of your application. You need to treat this application as seriously as you would treat your Canadian application so you need to be ready to go early on in the application cycle.

I will also add that shadowing if you can get it will help A LOT or clinical exposure. Again grades matter, but they aren't the be all and end all in America compared to the other aspects. It appears that schools place more emphasis on the MCAT and not just CARS but a STRONG MCAT and really pay attention to peoples' stories.

The only advice that I will give from a writing standpoint is the following:

-You are note writing a resume, you want to write why medicine, truly think about it and be able to answer that.

-If you want to frame things like the American core competency list on your application, just do it subtly. I don't think you have to say I AM EMPATHETIC so I did X. Some will suggest that.. but its pretty obvious having read PS' and EC's over the years and now doing it myself, you can make yourself look good without saying AND THAT'S WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD DOCTOR. Instead you can outline what the experience meant to you and why it was important and the impact that you had on the experience.

-If possible emphasize patient exposure experiences, particularly ones that you were involved and a doctor was possibly also involved so you can outline hey I did my research and this is what I need to have and desire.

-Instead of talking about how you gained x skill or learned y. You can instead say this experience gave me insight on a,b,c or and I hope to continue that in the future.

-It's not about what you say but how you say it.

Anyways hopefully that all help. I plan on making a bit of a guide or adding to what is already around once this cycle is over.

The podcast below has an episode on there from Tulane's dean of admissions:

https://case.edu/medicine/admissions-programs/md-programs/podcast-all-access-med-school-admissions

• 6 months later...
On 2/2/2022 at 11:40 PM, Xbox Skully said:

I got the A from Tulane with a 4.0 and a 517. My application has lots of patient exposure so that probably helped. 17k applicants for 190 seats seem like a lottery tbh.

Did you get accepted recently or last cycle? I interviewed with them on Thursday. I feel like they have a high acceptance rate for international students since ~15 are interviewed from a pool of 750. 

4 hours ago, JohnGrisham said:

750 international applicants? Do you have a link to those stats

it is on AAMC MSAR's. This was for the 2019-2020 cycle; the 2020-21 cycle stats should be out next month or April. But statistically speaking I've only seen 11-15 international applicants interviewed at their school max for the last 3 cycles. 

5 hours ago, socolas123 said:

it is on AAMC MSAR's. This was for the 2019-2020 cycle; the 2020-21 cycle stats should be out next month or April. But statistically speaking I've only seen 11-15 international applicants interviewed at their school max for the last 3 cycles. 

How many of those get in? And it was last cycle.

On 2/5/2022 at 2:46 PM, socolas123 said:

Im very surprised they had that many international applicants, I wonder whats the cause of the uptick? And as well, what percentage are north american undergrad internationals (i.e. canadians, or interrnationals that did undergrad in the US), versus true internationals from outside of north america.  Interesting!

50 minutes ago, JohnGrisham said:

Im very surprised they had that many international applicants, I wonder whats the cause of the uptick? And as well, what percentage are north american undergrad internationals (i.e. canadians, or interrnationals that did undergrad in the US), versus true internationals from outside of north america.  Interesting!

It must be the relaxed admission requirements. I checked every school in USA and this was the only one that I meet the pre-requisites for. Most other schools require a considerable amount of traditional pre-med undergrad coursework in the transcript.

4 hours ago, JohnGrisham said:

Plus there aren’t too many international friendly schools that aren’t  top tier with 520 average Mcats.

7 hours ago, JohnGrisham said:

based on their class profile, 7 countries were represented in their 2025 class including Canada. 

21 hours ago, JohnGrisham said:

Also just to clarify for Tulane specifically, Canadians are considered international students whereas for other schools, Canadian are considered out-of-state hence the international pool seems higher here.