Premed 101 Forums

Effect of multiple failed CEGEP classes on admissions from a BSc?

I was a horrendous CEGEP student, and I failed something like 4(?) science classes. Average science R score was about 27 I think. A lot of reasons for this, but I don't think it's that relevant to discuss that.

Currently I'm completing a BSc, and Im doing pretty well (3.8+ GPA at the moment) and I'm planning on applying for Fall 2023 provided by GPA holds up.

I know that McGill no longer weights prerequisite grades and only a passing grade is required (also I spoke to admissions and they confirmed to me that this change was permanent for a number of reasons) but I'm wondering if anyone knows if there will be some kind of penalty attached to all those failed CEGEP classes? Or am I just being paranoid. 

7 hours ago, mtlwatch2029 said:

I was a horrendous CEGEP student, and I failed something like 4(?) science classes. Average science R score was about 27 I think. A lot of reasons for this, but I don't think it's that relevant to discuss that.

Currently I'm completing a BSc, and Im doing pretty well (3.8+ GPA at the moment) and I'm planning on applying for Fall 2023 provided by GPA holds up.

I know that McGill no longer weights prerequisite grades and only a passing grade is required (also I spoke to admissions and they confirmed to me that this change was permanent for a number of reasons) but I'm wondering if anyone knows if there will be some kind of penalty attached to all those failed CEGEP classes? Or am I just being paranoid. 

I read that if you fail more than once your prereq classes, they can refuse you immediately. I can't find exactly where on the McGill website its mentioned but that's what I remember! If they don't eliminate your application directly, then there's nothing else you should worry about imo. Also, apply to other QC schools as I haven't found anything regarding failing CEGEP classes on their websites (UL, UdeM, UdeS).

3 hours ago, hamsterman11 said:

I read that if you fail more than once your prereq classes, they can refuse you immediately. I can't find exactly where on the McGill website its mentioned but that's what I remember! If they don't eliminate your application directly, then there's nothing else you should worry about imo. Also, apply to other QC schools as I haven't found anything regarding failing CEGEP classes on their websites (UL, UdeM, UdeS).

Could you help me find this? I've been scouring the prerequisite page and I can't find anything about this. Just that you need a 60%. I know that you're ineligible if you're missing 3, but I did pass all of the classes (I failed organic and a physics class in terms of prereqs). Also to be clear, I didn't fail them more than once. I failed those two classes once. (My other failed classes are Cal 1 and 2, but those arent prereqs). I know you're disqualified from med-p for failing prereqs though since it extends your cegep.

4 hours ago, mtlwatch2029 said:

Could you help me find this? I've been scouring the prerequisite page and I can't find anything about this. Just that you need a 60%. I know that you're ineligible if you're missing 3, but I did pass all of the classes (I failed organic and a physics class in terms of prereqs). Also to be clear, I didn't fail them more than once. I failed those two classes once. (My other failed classes are Cal 1 and 2, but those arent prereqs). I know you're disqualified from med-p for failing prereqs though since it extends your cegep.

I've spent a lot of time on the McGill med admissions website and I don't think I ever came across anything like that. If I were you I would email admissions to double check, but honestly I think you're just being paranoid! I got into McGill med based on a second bachelor's degree this year despite having failed a couple of classes at the beginning of my first bachelor's degree. If they didn't ding me for it, I'm sure you've got nothing to worry about.

10 hours ago, mtlwatch2029 said:

You're right, my bad. I think you should be fine, my memory was wrong: it was University of Sherbrooke and not McGill.

From UdeS website (https://www.usherbrooke.ca/doctorat-medecine/admission/contingent-quebecois-categorie-universitaire/#c144580-2) :

• Tout cours préalable échoué aura été repris avec succès. Cependant, la Faculté se réserve le droit de refuser les candidatures présentant plus d’un échec pour l’ensemble des cours préalables, et ce, même si ces cours ont été repris avec succès.

On 5/25/2021 at 5:13 PM, Vons said:

I've spent a lot of time on the McGill med admissions website and I don't think I ever came across anything like that. If I were you I would email admissions to double check, but honestly I think you're just being paranoid! I got into McGill med based on a second bachelor's degree this year despite having failed a couple of classes at the beginning of my first bachelor's degree. If they didn't ding me for it, I'm sure you've got nothing to worry about.

So I ended up contacting them to make sure, and you're right! They said that prerequisite record isn't evaluated/relevant so long as you passed the course with a grade that is considered a pass at that respective institution, which in my case is 60% since its Cegep.

On 5/25/2021 at 2:06 AM, mtlwatch2029 said:

My CEGEP transcript is pretty garbage and I got accepted as a university applicant. To be fair, I finished CEGEP 14 years ago........ I have never seen such an inclusive admission program for this and other faculties at McGill. Every other place I could apply would probably tank me on the basis of one term in CEGEP so. Praise be to McGill. 

I would not worry and just focus on getting the best possible grades and CV.