Premed 101 Forums

uOttawa (health science/biomed) vs UofT life sciences (utsg/utsc) for undergrad

Hello everyone

I need help choosing a university that will offer me better opportunities for grad schools. I'm hearing so much different things from everywhere, so I thought i'd ask here.

I was wondering which program/university of these would be better for med school in terms of networking, opportunities (research/volunteer/clubs), gpa? They both seem to have their pros and cons, but I am stuck between them. Thank you so much, in advance!

----

Both will cost the same for me in the long run and I'm going to have to get some part-time jobs near the universities to help me pay for tuition and bus fees. 

General: do researchers care about which university you go to when you apply to do research with them? (i.e. is prestige worth something?)

-----
uOttawa:

-health science seems to be helpful in terms of the gpa aspect 

-biomed seems to fill more prerequisites 

-i need to know more because not many people talk about it—why?

UofT life sciences:

-utsc: smaller class sizes but smaller campus and not all courses would be here, but seems to be better for high gpa than utsg

-utsg: more opportunities than utsc

-overall hard (but aren’t all universities hard? So how does this difficulty compare to mcmaster for example? Are the profs purposefully making tests harder, do they not teach well so the self learn is getting to people, is curving down a thing?)

• Ctrlaltdeleteme changed the title to uOttawa (health science/biomed) vs UofT life sciences (utsg/utsc) for undergrad

I go to ottawa and health science is definitely a pretty easy program compared to most BSc programs. Keep in mind though that in third/fourth year you are gonna have to write lots of essays, papers and stuff so if you like that stuff you may like health science, but if you don't then maybe choose something else. Biomed does fill more prereqs but it is definitely harder, most pre meds that I know started in biomed and then switched programs when they realized how hard it was to keep a competitive gpa. I would recommend just doing health science and then taking the remaining prereqs as electives. 

I can't speak for UofT but at Ottawa there are loads of opportunities available to pre meds. No shortage of work/volunteering/ECs and everything. Advantages to being in the capital as well (Fswep), lots of hospitals on/near campus as well!