Premed 101 Forums

Where to live for students at Windsor campus?

Any current/past Schulich-Windsor students that can give advice on best places to stay? I don't have a car so will prefer for it to be a walking distance away from classes and the hospital! And bonus points if near affordable eating/groceries. Is there any university housing that some students pick that is available for medical/post-grad students (don't want to deal with first years/undergrads!)? I don't know anyone going to Windsor and would prefer to live by myself for at least my first year before I make friends and can hopefully have roommates moving forward :) Any other advice about living and getting around in Windsor, etc is also appreciated!!

Hey! I'm a second year on Windsor Campus so hopefully I can help :) Your Orientation Coordinators will be releasing a document that has info on where most students live, popular buildings (and buildings/landlords to avoid), and neighbourhoods and their proximity to groceries/school/hospital/gym etc. Unfortunately you won't find anywhere that is in walking distance from both the school and both hospital campuses because they're pretty spread out. The new Canterbury College buildings were pretty popular among the 2024s, as was the West Bridge building - you can just google either of those names and info will pop up!! Those buildings are both available to undergrads so I'm not sure about noise level at either but if you DM me I can connect you with students who have lived there.

In my opinion the university neighbourhood (east of huron church st up until around Crawford st area) is the most ideal for preclerkship because of its proximity to the school, which is where you'll be spending the vast majority of your time. A few classmates also lived in the downtown area (close to Ouellette Campus of WRH) and enjoyed that and a couple in the west end/sandwhich. I would suggest that Walkerville, while close to the Met Campus of WRH, is a little far from school. One thing to keep in mind is that the Windsor transit system is notoriously unreliable, with busses consistently being late/early or not showing up at all. Carpooling is a good option if you end up close to some classmates! 

I know I probably just threw out a bunch of street names and neighbourhoods that don't really mean anything to you so would be happy to chat more over DM. Congrats and welcome to the Windsor fam! 

19 hours ago, CHG said:

Hey! I'm a second year on Windsor Campus so hopefully I can help :) Your Orientation Coordinators will be releasing a document that has info on where most students live, popular buildings (and buildings/landlords to avoid), and neighbourhoods and their proximity to groceries/school/hospital/gym etc. Unfortunately you won't find anywhere that is in walking distance from both the school and both hospital campuses because they're pretty spread out. The new Canterbury College buildings were pretty popular among the 2024s, as was the West Bridge building - you can just google either of those names and info will pop up!! Those buildings are both available to undergrads so I'm not sure about noise level at either but if you DM me I can connect you with students who have lived there.

In my opinion the university neighbourhood (east of huron church st up until around Crawford st area) is the most ideal for preclerkship because of its proximity to the school, which is where you'll be spending the vast majority of your time. A few classmates also lived in the downtown area (close to Ouellette Campus of WRH) and enjoyed that and a couple in the west end/sandwhich. I would suggest that Walkerville, while close to the Met Campus of WRH, is a little far from school. One thing to keep in mind is that the Windsor transit system is notoriously unreliable, with busses consistently being late/early or not showing up at all. Carpooling is a good option if you end up close to some classmates! 

I know I probably just threw out a bunch of street names and neighbourhoods that don't really mean anything to you so would be happy to chat more over DM. Congrats and welcome to the Windsor fam! 

Thanks so much for your help @CHG!!! If you don't mind I might message you in the next couple of days for more info and clarifications but this has been great to orient myself to Windsor!!