Premed 101 Forums

Is it possible to parallel plan at U of T

If I'm reading the schedule correctly there are only around 11 weeks of pre-CaRMS electives. Given the 3 discipline requirement I've heard of, this would barely allow you to max out your 8 weeks in one specialty let alone sufficiently explore a second (I'm interested in GSx first, CSx second).

Also, if interested in an OOP program how many elective weeks there are sufficient?

1 hour ago, AB27 said:

If I'm reading the schedule correctly there are only around 11 weeks of pre-CaRMS electives. Given the 3 discipline requirement I've heard of, this would barely allow you to max out your 8 weeks in one specialty let alone sufficiently explore a second (I'm interested in GSx first, CSx second).

Also, if interested in an OOP program how many elective weeks there are sufficient?

The 3 discipline rule applies to *BOTH* electives *AND* selectives. Most people who are gunning (for any specialty) will do all/most of their precarm electives in that one specialty and then do 2 other specialties in their selectives.

Interestingly looking at the CaRMS website, th letter due dates for the R1 match in 2022 seem to be in Janurary... (is this new? because previously they used to be in mid to late November). If correct and this continues in future years, that's a big deal. Basically all your elective time at UofT would be pre-carms (or pre carms letters, which is what is important). If anything the Selective in Jan could also be used for CaRMS planning (again big deal). With the 8 week cap, if you wanted to you can parallel plan both GenSx and CSx with 8 weeks of each (16 weeks total), but that would require you to have your selective in GenSx or CSx (may not be possible, although I'm pretty sure you can arrange it so it is possible) and no vacation time within the 14 weeks of electives.

Also worth finding out (cause I don't know the answer to this), but do various sub-specialty surgical disciplines within GenSx (Thoracics, Trauma surgery, HBP, breast surgery, Colo-rectal etc...) count as GenSx for CaRMS, or is it like IM where they don't and so you can do multiple sub-specialty electives?

In terms of if parallel planning with two surgical specialties is a wise choice (or whether just to gun for one), I will let my surgical colleagues comment on that.