Premed 101 Forums

DMD Workload

Hi all!

I got admitted in DMD in University of Montreal for fall 2021. I was wondering about the workload in DMD.

All my life I wanted to become a dentist and that was my ultimate goal. I really worked hard and I had to do 2 years of university to finally enter (because here in quebec you can get in DMD at the age of 19, but for me i had to reapply twice because of poor CASPer performance). Even now, I can't believe I'm finally admitted! But now that I'm in, I'm starting to feel the "impostor syndrome"....

i'm starting to stress a bit and think what if I'm not good enough for DMD... the workload is scary. I was in software engineering and, for example, I did 15 credits last semester and engineering is really a busy program if you want to have good grades. I ended up with a 4.3 total GPA but really sacrificed quite a bit (which I don't have a problem with). Let's say I spent 12-13 hours a day sleeping, eating and relaxing and the rest of the time I was studying / doing exercises / etc ... So a good 12, or sometimes up to 15, hours a day was spent going to lectures, tutorials, labs, and studying outside of class time, but that was all because i aimed to have 100% in EVERYTHING. And with that method, I had high 90's when the overall average of the class was in the 50-65 range.
I'm not a bad student anyway but I don't know why the "impostor syndrome" invades me so much lol.. i guess that happens to everyone?

I would like to know how is DMD in terms of workload (i've heard horror stories)? How many hours of study is necessary to survive well (I am not aiming for specialization because i prefer becoming a generalist, just getting decent grades)? Is it "easy enough" to pass all of my exams if I continue with the same amount of time spent studying as I did in engineering?

And how did you guys go about studying (your methods)? I am curious to know. How do you guys practice using active recall (without anki because i feel like i spend most of my time MAKING the cards rather than studying them... at least that's what used to happen when i did health sciences in uni for a few semester).

ANY kind of input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :D

You'll be fine,  stop stressing yourself out.  If you got accepted, they clearly saw that you are capable of completing the program. Yes there are always students that may fall through the cracks, but if you give it your all you have nothing to worry about. There will be hard, long days but its worth it at the end, so keep grinding one exam/assignment/semester at a time. Enjoy your summer before Dental School.

For study tips, everyone finds their own ways, there are a lot of youtubers that have tons of videos over their 4 years of dental school. From how they study, to how each year is like. You could watch these to have a better idea, however I still think youre fine, go enjoy your summer. 

Also software engineering background is pretty cool, maybe you can integrate that with Dentistry and figure out a replacement for AxiUm (Now thats something you should worry about in clinical years). 

On 6/5/2021 at 1:56 AM, Hades said:

You'll be fine,  stop stressing yourself out.  If you got accepted, they clearly saw that you are capable of completing the program. Yes there are always students that may fall through the cracks, but if you give it your all you have nothing to worry about. There will be hard, long days but its worth it at the end, so keep grinding one exam/assignment/semester at a time. Enjoy your summer before Dental School.

For study tips, everyone finds their own ways, there are a lot of youtubers that have tons of videos over their 4 years of dental school. From how they study, to how each year is like. You could watch these to have a better idea, however I still think youre fine, go enjoy your summer. 

Also software engineering background is pretty cool, maybe you can integrate that with Dentistry and figure out a replacement for AxiUm (Now thats something you should worry about in clinical years). 

I hated Axium. I went to Detroit Mercy and they had it there too. Too clunky, out-dated and cluttered. 

• 3 weeks later...