Premed 101 Forums

MCCQEs during Intern Year

Hey all.

I'm a Canadian (Ontario) whose graduated from a USDO school, and now will be beginning my FM training as well. I am wanting to keep opportunities open in Canada, however (more likely to remain here to practice, but we will see).

I know that for n unrestricted license I will need take the QEs (I am aware of the supervision pathway in Ontario, but it leads to a restricted license, which there isn't much info on what that actually means). Luckily, being FM means I can use ABFM to get CCFP certification. Still, I need the QEs for licensing. 

Therefore, I was wondering if anyone had any advice for taking the QE1 during intern year, and QE2 in PGY2 or 3. I was thinking of taking QE1 alongside Level 3 (DO version of Step 3). Would Uworld for Step 3 + Toronto Notes + the Royal College's practice exams be good enough prep to pass? Since I am not applying to CaRMS, I just need to focus on passing, as opposed to getting the highest score possible. 

Thanks ya'll.

1 hour ago, HokusPokus said:

Therefore, I was wondering if anyone had any advice for taking the QE1 during intern year, and QE2 in PGY2 or 3. I was thinking of taking QE1 alongside Level 3 (DO version of Step 3). Would Uworld for Step 3 + Toronto Notes + the Royal College's practice exams be good enough prep to pass? Since I am not applying to CaRMS, I just need to focus on passing, as opposed to getting the highest score possible.

A few things:

First, unlike the USMLE or COMLEX, the score you get on the QEs doesn't really matter, you just have to pass to check that box. I guess it's analogous to the Canadians who take the USMLE is residency just to pass so they are eligible for US fellowships.

In Canada, you usually take the QE1 right around finishing medical school, and the QE2 in first or second year of residency, so the schedule you propose should be fine. For QE1, people generally use Toronto notes or similar, at least they did when I took it, although there is a QE1 specific textbook "Essentials for the Canadian Medical Licensing Exam" that I liked. I don't know how useful Uworld is for Canadian style exams, maybe others who tried it could comment. QE2 has been indefinitely suspended currently, and who knows what it will look like when it returns, but for Canadian residents at least we had "study materials" passed down to us from previous years, however they significantly revised the format of the exam to be more counselling and less medical knowledge heavy the year after I took it, so I no longer would be the best person to advise how to prepare for it.

31 minutes ago, bearded frog said:

A few things:

First, unlike the USMLE or COMLEX, the score you get on the QEs doesn't really matter, you just have to pass to check that box. I guess it's analogous to the Canadians who take the USMLE is residency just to pass so they are eligible for US fellowships.

In Canada, you usually take the QE1 right around finishing medical school, and the QE2 in first or second year of residency, so the schedule you propose should be fine. For QE1, people generally use Toronto notes or similar, at least they did when I took it, although there is a QE1 specific textbook "Essentials for the Canadian Medical Licensing Exam" that I liked. I don't know how useful Uworld is for Canadian style exams, maybe others who tried it could comment. QE2 has been indefinitely suspended currently, and who knows what it will look like when it returns, but for Canadian residents at least we had "study materials" passed down to us from previous years, however they significantly revised the format of the exam to be more counselling and less medical knowledge heavy the year after I took it, so I no longer would be the best person to advise how to prepare for it.

Hey bearded frog,

Thanks for the response!

Yep with that on scores. The only time I know when it's relevant is IF an IMG was applying into CaRMS - I read scores matter there. BUT, not relevant to me since I've matched here in the US, haha. All I need to do is pass.

Yep with that on timelines. I took COMLEX and USMLEs, and I just really wasn't keen on adding another $$$ on top of that. And yea, I also knew QE1 is the exam following medical school and QE2 is done after 12 months of GME. I've heard about people using Uworld Step 2 for medical content, since it's the "closest thing" out there for a Qbank. There really isn't a good vetted MCCQE qBank (I've heard of CanadianQBank, but I have heard it's trash). Since QE1 is more of a clinically/decision management exam, as compared to Step 1/Level 1, I would hope Step 3 prep would at least be in some way transferable (since it's also decision and management like Step 2). Particularly that CDM portion I have been reading up on.

And huh, interesting about QE2 suspension. I should look into this to see updates. I am guessing Canadian PGY1s are in limbo right now because of it? Same with us when PE/CS were up in the air. 

3 hours ago, JohnGrisham said:

QE1 is just a bad version of Step 2 ck/Step 3.  Just get it out of the way, it is a useless exam.

Haha yea, that's what ive heard.

By all accounts I'm likely to stay in the US, get settled there. Marriage and all that jazz. But keep options open. 

Your thoughts, tho I know you've been in practice, on Uworld step 3? Toronto notes? Bearded Frog mentioned Essentials for the QE book. 

1 hour ago, shikimate said:

First Aid + UWorld will more than prepare you well for QE1. As for QE2, given the big screw up they just had, who knows what's gonna happen.

Yep. Just focus on a few of the Toronto Notes chapters (PHELO, and primary care fields(FM, OB/GYN, Peds, Psych, EM) and you'll be fine.

Just to add on, the QE1 at least was a joke of a test. I studied for like 5 or 6 days and got a score way above passing. Most of my classmates had similar experiences. It's not something you'll need to study too hard for (especially now that you're a FM resident and will know a lot more at this stage).

Also IMO, UWorld is overkill. I didn't touch it for QE1. I solely used OnlineMedEd + my notes from medical school + Toronto Notes. They publish a list of objectives that are covered on the exam, and I just went point by point and read summary notes on anything that I felt I needed a refresher on. A good chunk of the exam is not even medical knowledge, they test you on common sense medical ethics.