Premed 101 Forums

How exactly does one get a 98.6% two year average?

Hello,

I was looking at the admission stats for the College of Medicine and apparently the grade range was 82.8-98.6% . How exactly does one get 98.6? Isnt there a max ? How can one get perfect in every single lab result? :confused:

Anyways, I will be entering 1st year and course selection starts in 3 days. I was wondering if anyone is aware of any easy courses?

What were your highest grades? Which courses and profs?

English is not really my forte and I was wondering if there are any mainly logic (math) based courses? Also which humanities are the easiest; I have no intrest in any of them. Also i have heard that english courses can crush GPAs, so some people recommend to take it in the summer, which I dont understand how would be different than taking it in the fall or winter.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!:)

Thank you

My first semester currently (subject to change) consists of Phys 115, Chem 112, Class 103 medical terminology, Psy 121 and Bio 120

•  

I know a lot of people who didn’t take all of their sciences in the same semester for fear that they would be overwhelmed with the sheer amount of coursework and lab demands. If you feel comfortable and ready for the grind, go for it. However, a lot of people will take 2 of the 3 sciences first year to help adjust to the demand of university. Then, once you declare your major, pick phys-pharm lol. 

18 hours ago, dogman1122 said:

Hello,

I was looking at the admission stats for the College of Medicine and apparently the grade range was 82.8-98.6% . How exactly does one get 98.6? Isnt there a max ? How can one get perfect in every single lab result? :confused:

Anyways, I will be entering 1st year and course selection starts in 3 days. I was wondering if anyone is aware of any easy courses?

What were your highest grades? Which courses and profs?

English is not really my forte and I was wondering if there are any mainly logic (math) based courses? Also which humanities are the easiest; I have no intrest in any of them. Also i have heard that english courses can crush GPAs, so some people recommend to take it in the summer, which I dont understand how would be different than taking it in the fall or winter.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!:)

Thank you

My first semester currently (subject to change) consists of Phys 115, Chem 112, Class 103 medical terminology, Psy 121 and Bio 120

•  

Hi,

Just wondering where you got those stats from as the Admissions Statistics document hasn't been updated yet for 2021. Is there another page/document that everyone else is looking at? 

On 6/7/2021 at 9:03 AM, Blankbla said:

2006? Damn that was 15 years ago! I guess the grades haven’t changed too much though lol

USask used to be MCAT optional and would take people after two years of undergrad. One of the reasons they were put on probation regarding accredition in 2013 was because getting in was about gaming the system to get a high GPA rather than taking actually smart people. Some folks wouldn't declare a major and just take easy courses in addition to the prereqs to maximize their odds of getting in, so the entering average were super inflated. The median entering average in 2012 was a 89.9 for comparison.

They reintroduced the MCAT and mandated a four year degree in I think 2016 so they could get accredited again and did away with prereqs. While  university grades have increased overall, the entering average has dropped because of the MCAT and mandating a four year degree.

• 1 month later...

Oh wow, its been a while since i logged in! Just posting my thread from 11 years ago with the same question

https://forums.premed101.com/topic/42422-how-exactly-does-one-get-a-986-two-year-average/?tab=comments#comment-518766

I am a practicing physician now and ended up getting into med after 3 years with a 2 year average of 95+%. There are lots of smart people out there and some of those 97+ averages were obtained by people either going to smaller schools (Athabasca, Lethbridge etc) or had a very generous Master's supervisor.  Either way, back in those days there were certainly people that went for the typical phys/pharm major and got in with high 90s averages with just pure work ethic and talent. 

None of the stuff I can share on undergrad course selection is probably relevant now so i have no practical advice.  

All the best!

• 2 weeks later...