Premed 101 Forums

I'm a newly minted FM PGY1 trying to explore what career options are available in primary/preventive care and recently discovered aerospace medicine. Sounds like a cool field but I know very little about it and how to even pursue it as a Canadian resident. There are a few residency/fellowship programs in the States but there doesn't seem to be a clear training path within Canada. I'm not even sure how to find a job in this field in Canada. 

Curious if anyone happens to know more about aerospace med and how to pursue it, or know someone currently working in the field?

3 minutes ago, hoolymooly said:

I'm a newly minted FM PGY1 trying to explore what career options are available in primary/preventive care and recently discovered aerospace medicine. Sounds like a cool field but I know very little about it and how to even pursue it as a Canadian resident. There are a few residency/fellowship programs in the States but there doesn't seem to be a clear training path within Canada. I'm not even sure how to find a job in this field in Canada. 

Curious if anyone happens to know more about aerospace med and how to pursue it, or know someone currently working in the field?

It's an available as a specialization for FM within the military.  I suspect that is the only pathway in Canada.  

The military will sponsor FM residency, but you would have to decide whether working in the military is right for you (including a ROS).  Perhaps others may be able to provide more details.   

From what I've seen in Canada the closest thing outside of the military would be working as a Civil Aviation Medical Examiner. That's really just doing pilot physicals though. There's a handbook that talks about the process of becoming a CAME on the Transport Canada website. I've seen a handful of people who have found roles as medical consultants with airlines, and some linkedin stalking could yield insight to those career trajectories. IIRC many of them have started as CAMEs. Generally I don't know that aerospace medicine is much of a discipline in Canada, but there seems to be enough of an overlap with dive medicine, austere/wilderness medicine and similar stuff that you might be able to put together some kind of specialized practice. I'm not super sure though - I'm trying to figure out this myself as well. If you haven't come across it already, check out www.amsro.org. IIRC there's a chapter for Canada so there may be some people there who can help you out.

6 hours ago, Vons said:

From what I've seen in Canada the closest thing outside of the military would be working as a Civil Aviation Medical Examiner. That's really just doing pilot physicals though. There's a handbook that talks about the process of becoming a CAME on the Transport Canada website. I've seen a handful of people who have found roles as medical consultants with airlines, and some linkedin stalking could yield insight to those career trajectories. IIRC many of them have started as CAMEs. Generally I don't know that aerospace medicine is much of a discipline in Canada, but there seems to be enough of an overlap with dive medicine, austere/wilderness medicine and similar stuff that you might be able to put together some kind of specialized practice. I'm not super sure though - I'm trying to figure out this myself as well. If you haven't come across it already, check out www.amsro.org. IIRC there's a chapter for Canada so there may be some people there who can help you out.

Good stuff, thanks for the info!

On 6/7/2021 at 3:35 PM, hoolymooly said:

There's an official documentation through the Royal College describing competencies.

https://www.royalcollege.ca/rcsite/ibd-search-e?N=10000033+10000034+4294967073&label=Aerospace Medicine